KQL: setting query time leads to problem in watchlist column projecting

Copper Contributor

Hello to the community!

I have stumbled upon a very strange issue when using watchlists.

I have a watchlist with 2 columns (userPrincipalName,allowedActivity) that I am then using to whitelist activities.

Watchlist is imported using: 

let WhitelistedUsers = _GetWatchlist("testQuery") | project userPrincipalName, allowedActivity;

Then I wanted to set it to a specific time frame to test it on given data set:

set query_now = datetime("1/14/2022, 1:45:46.556 PM");

Problem is that when setting my query for a specific time, I get the following error from the watchlist:

'project' operator: Failed to resolve scalar expression named 'userPrincipalName'. Commenting the set query_now solves the project problem (not my problem though).

I tried to set the time before and after watchlist import but that does not solve the issue. I could not find any posts around the topic (quite a specific one), so anyone observed similar behaviors or has a possible explanation? I can probably work around the set query_now with other functions but I gotten used to it, and find this behavior extremely strange

3 Replies
You should use Let rather than Set (Set is a Azure Data Explorer statement)

So in Sentinel Logs it would be (unless you are using ADX?):

let query_now = datetime("1/14/2022, 1:45:46.556 PM");
print query_now
I was wondering if you've found a way to get around this. It is making backtesting analytic rules with watchlists impossible.
Using the Results Simulation graph shows gives me a query with these set statements that end up not working when I try and run them.

Also let does not seem to work the same way set does with regards to these tests.
The result simulation is doing the evaluations for you, the default message says with "current data".
I suspect like the Rule Query window there is extra filtering applied, its probably doing a query_time so you cant do one as well (e.g Rule query window excludes 14+ day lookback and union * etc...)
Only someone from the Sentinel team can say for sure