Deleted

Deleted
Not applicable

Deleted

32 Replies

@Deleted 

Yes, it have.

Any chance, someone will take a look into fixing the problems, described by multiple individuals in this thread ? As the responsibility of the PA is to assist in security compliance reports, it should work in any environment, without flaws. If I have to question any result of this software, I cannot use it at all.

Maybe the security related tools, could be the tools Microsoft will open source and put on Github ?

@FLeven 

Maybe you can open up a support request here
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-compliance-toolkit-10

2021-03-18_15h21_44.png

I have an English OS but with "german" region. So for analyzing you might install Win10 in english until it is fixed.

I did, I even mentioned the problems in official Microsoft tickets.

@FLevenI think i have the solution to this problem and its really trivial. I think the problem is that the software can't read certain characters. I could solve this problem by going into an existing .policyrule file and editing out the unreadable character which was an '&'. However I still have problems using the effective state function because I get an error regarding secedit/auditpol and i can't find the 'EntityName' which causes the problem. I searched for files in %SystemRoot%\Security\Templates but there are multiple files and none of theme have have 'line 168 position 82' as stated in the error report. Even all lines combined don't reach 168 so I don't know which files policy analyzer is referring to. Anyone has an idea where auditpol/secedit files on a domain machine are stored and used by policy analyzer?

@Deleted I've got the same problem on German Windows versions. Luckily, I managed to grab the offending file from the %tmp% directory. The problem is the unescaped ampersand (&) in the following line:

<AuditSubcategory><GUID>{0CCE9248-69AE-11D9-BED3-505054503030}</GUID><Name>Plug & Play-Ereignisse</Name><Setting>0</Setting><SourceFile>C:\Users\Administrator.DOMAIN\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp16F8.tmp</SourceFile><PolicyName>SERVER - auditpol /backup</PolicyName></AuditSubcategory>

This is the "Audit PNP Activity" policy, or "PNP-Überwachungsaktivität" in German. 

However, I don't have any idea for a workaround yet. The %tmp% file seems to be created with a random name and exists only for the fraction of a second. And the localized string does not come from the .adml files.

@Deleted Good find, search for hardeningkitty and forget about the clunky old Policy analyzer.

@FLeven - FWIW, I looked up hardeningkitty and it is more dependent on US-English than Policy Analyzer is.

Also FWIW, I'd really like to see these bugs fixed as well.

It is clearly documented in the Code, you just have to change the Account Default named in the Switch from Line 464 to 490 in the invoke-hardeningkitty.ps1. we can PR this for De-de If necessary.
And 860-870, just as an example? Whatever changes are made are going to be locale-dependent and have to be repeated for every language you want to support. Having to produce separate versions for every language you want to support is not a victory. The localization bugs in Policy Analyzer tend to be relatively few - but yes, they ought to be fixed. Not under my control.
860-870 and 1714-1723 will work on any OS language. It is just the accounts that are hardcoded. With hardeningkitty you can finally automate your reports and create your own lists. reporting with PA is very time consuming.

@FLeven Thanks for pointing me to hardeningkitty, didn't know about this before! Do you already have a German account name section you could share?

@Deleted I found the origin of the offending string with the ampersand in German Windows, it's C:\Windows\System32\de-DE\msobjs.dll.mui.

If I disable the localization by taking ownership of the file, adding access rights, renaming it and rebooting, the error message in Policy Analyzer is gone.

You can also see the offending string by running auditpol /backup /file:backup.csv.

Of course it's still a bug in Policy Analyzer that it doesn't properly sanitize/escape the messages.