SOLVED

Policy Tips not showing

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We're experiencing issues with DLP Policies that was working for a couple of weeks, but now it has not been working as expected.

The DLP Policies are suppose to affect only Outlook when employees are emailing to an external email address.

The way I've set it up is as follows:

Actions: 

• Block people from sharing and restrict access to shared content
  • Only people outside your organization.

User notifications:

• Use Notifications to inform your users.... (Toggled On)
  • Email notifications:  Notify the user who sent, shared, or last modified the content. (Selected)
  • Policy tips: (Checked)

User overrides:

• Let people who see the tip override the policy and share the content... (Toggled On)
  • Require a business justification to override... (Checked)
  • Override the rule automatically if they report it as a false positive (Checked)

I have 4 separate DLP Policies, each setup by region (Canada, US, Europe, and Other (which contains Credit Cards policies).  All the policies are from the list that Microsoft has provided.

The issue I'm having is that from Outlook client, no policy tips are being displayed to the users and then when they go to send it, their email will get blocked.  The policy that is most affected by this is the Europe DLP for some reason, but it has happened for Canada and US DLP too.

When the users send the same message from OWA, they still won't get a Policy tip, but the email will go through and not get blocked - however, there are some instances where from OWA, it will get blocked with no Policy Tip being displayed.

Another issue we often are experiencing is the Other DLP (for Credit card numbers).  We have clients and employees that are in Europe, and if they include their local phone number, their email will get blocked because the policy thinks the local number is actually a credit card number.  I've noticed that it has happened for those with a +44 number in front.

Now, this all use to work for about 2 weeks at the beginning of this year, but it all of sudden stopped working and has been giving us inconsistent and unexpected experiences.  I have opened up a MS Support Ticket back in the beginning of February, but I'm getting nowhere with them and it's getting to the point where I have to disable all DLP policies until I can figure out what's causing this.

Has anyone have encountered this issue before?  We are losing confidence with Microsoft's handling of DLP and may just go with some other third party solution, but I want to avoid that before exhausting all options.

Please help!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Deleted
Solution

Hi@Suolon Hu i've just started to look at DLP after a client wanted a popup of some sort to alert about sending attachments externally.

I'm in the UK, Business Premium license.

I've seen zero policy tips in Outlook 365! i tried the pre-made templates and those seem to work in blocking (email bounce back) but again zero policy tips. the docs i've seen mention Office 2013 & 2016. I also saw a doc that said certain DLP features where not yet suppport, attachment types being one of these but can't find that post again :(

I'm going to log a ticket with my CSP and see if they can did up any answers.

It's not working for me in SCC. It's worked in AIP so I thought I will "move on" and migrate to SCC, how wrong I was. One test policy never worked, so I deleted it, now it's in "deletion state" for over two weeks - ok, not a problem, quick google search and there is a PS command but recently Microsoft removed -ForceDeletion switch (on purpose?) so I can't force delete the policy in Powershell and it clutters my dashboard which I hate btw. So I created two more test policies and the mail tips are not working, I tried everything without any success. The admin experience in O365 / Azure is very poor for me. And the whole configuration is not a single pane of glass at all. Azure here, old exchange admin there, new admin centre everywhere and the newest admin preview in between. Total mess, I'm sorry to say that...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Deleted
Solution

Hi@Suolon Hu i've just started to look at DLP after a client wanted a popup of some sort to alert about sending attachments externally.

I'm in the UK, Business Premium license.

I've seen zero policy tips in Outlook 365! i tried the pre-made templates and those seem to work in blocking (email bounce back) but again zero policy tips. the docs i've seen mention Office 2013 & 2016. I also saw a doc that said certain DLP features where not yet suppport, attachment types being one of these but can't find that post again :(

I'm going to log a ticket with my CSP and see if they can did up any answers.

View solution in original post