Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Auto-delete retention label not working (SharePoint)

Brass Contributor

As far as I can tell, there are no "retain" policies set up, I've created a label for auto-delete after 1 day and applied it to a folder.

clipboard_image_1.png

The contents created/added to the folder correctly get assigned the label, but do not appear to do anything.  What could I be doing wrong here?

clipboard_image_2.png

Am I misunderstanding how these mechanisms work?

5 Replies

Most likely the period is too low for the timer jobs to process the library.

I'm having trouble imagining what that means exactly, but I assume you are saying that 1-day delete period is simply not going to work if that's the case?  I'll jump it up to 2 days, but I figured that some service would periodically compare file dates to applied policies (or labels) and take action depending on the state.  Does that mean the delete window is getting skipped or something?  Really appreciate the response, I've got little understanding of the workings under the hood of how retention policies are functioning so any info is great.

That service is the "timer job" I referred to above. I'm not actually sure what the workcycle if for SPO, but the analogous service for Exchange has a 7day SLA.

SLA as in Service level agreement? I guess that means if that sort of limitation is in place, I should expect the proper action to take place according to the label "+/-" 7 days yes (within some window anyway)? We'll see eventually I suppose.

Again, I'm not sure what the actual value for SPO is, the 7 day one is for Exchange Online.