Microsoft Search causes Bing to be unavailable for our employees.

Copper Contributor

Our employees encounter a problem with Bing as soon as they login to their "Work Accounts".  Bing becomes unavailable and we get strange errors and are unable to use Bing.  Unfortunately we have had nothing but issues with Microsoft Search.  Now that we can no longer use Bing, we will let everyone know to use Google until Microsoft can fix this issue.

Rich Crane

rich@mill5.com

9 Replies
Hi Rich, That's NOT a good experience--apologies for the issue. Thanks for the screenshots. I have shared these with engineering and will let you know what they come back with. It's possible that the new v2 UX rollout that began today is impacting something. Is it fair to assume that everything was working correctly last week? Cheers, -Wendy

@Wendy_MSFT 

I am not sure how to answer your question.  We were already trying to remove Microsoft Search from our Bing pages.  I think Support did something which messed this up further.  Please know that this continues to be an issue.

Hi Richard, I just received email confirmation that a dev from the DRI team has been assigned to investigate this. I will keep you updated. Cheers, -Wendy
Hi Richard, I just heard back from Gregory in engineering and the behavior your employees are seeing is by design whenever you have turned Bing Search off in your tenant--we do not allow folks to sign in under this scenario. However, great catch in that the error message we are currently displaying is incorrect (and as you mention, not very helpful). The correct messaging should indicate why the user is unable to sign in. This has now been added to the work backlog to fix. Hope that helps answer your question and holler if you still have questions. Cheers, -Wendy

@Wendy_MSFT 

Wendy, this makes NO SENSE.  We used to be able to sign in with Bing and use Bing Search prior to turning on Microsoft Search.  We did not like Microsoft Search and want to turn it off.  Now we cannot use Bing at all.  How is this by design?  If it is, that is an extremely poor design.  We should not be redirected to Microsoft Search if it is turned off and our employees should be able to use Bing Search without the integration from Microsoft Search.

BTW this all happened over the course of a couple days.  So for you to tell us that we can no longer use Bing unless we as a company use Microsoft Search is really upsetting.  This is all sorts of wrong.

Hi Richard, Let me confirm some things with the dev team and make sure I didn't lose something in the translation along the route. Cheers, -Wendy

@Wendy_MSFT  We need to escalate this.  We are going on a week where Microsoft Search has caused us to not be able to use Bing.  We should not be forced to turn on Microsoft Search to use Bing.

Bing worked previously without us having Microsoft Search turned on.  We turned on Microsoft Search to try it out, we did not like it, now we are being told to either turn Microsoft Search or be forced to not use Bing because it errors if our employees are logged into their Work Accounts.

Just know that none of our employees can use Bing because of a "BUG" in Microsoft Search and the integration with Bing.  We are forced to use Google.  I wouldn't be this adamant about it, but we don't like Google search.  Unfortunately, we cannot use Bing search because it constantly crashes now.  I cannot force our employees to log out of their Work Accounts because that would kill their productivity with other Microsoft products that we are logged into.  This has become a Severity A issue for our company.

Finally, this type of bug means that we have to log out of Microsoft products that leverage Work Accounts.  Products include all of Office 365, Visual Studio Online/Azure Dev Ops, and Azure.  This is really bad.

Apologies for not getting back to you yesterday, Richard. Can you please email me at v-westid@microsoft.com so we can setup a quick call, hopefully today?