Disabling Delve?

Silver Contributor

This question of disabling Office Graph has come up, to remove Delve, as there are concerns documents are being shown that shouldn't be.   Even after explaining how this works, it's do with underlying permissions etc., it's an option is that's being pursued.

My question is, what is the impact of disabling Office Graph today and going forward with the next generation Office 365 experiences.   Here is what's mentioned in the admin guide

"If you don't allow access to the Office Graph, Delve will be removed from the Office 365 app launcher. When users visit a person’s page, for example by clicking on a person in OneDrive for Business, that person’s page will contain only user profile information. No documents will be shown. Users can still search for other people, but not for documents or boards. The Discover view in OneDrive for Business will also be removed."

Is it more far-reaching than that, though?  What about some of the new SharePoint experiences, will they be adversely affected.  Office Graph/Delve seems to be powering or linked with upcoming or new features, is that true? 

Delvea.pngDelveb.png

Thanks for any insights or feedback.

14 Replies

Yes, it is more far reaching than that.

I recently asked this same question, and have yet to get a complete and comprehensive answer.

In my tests, we learned that the new SPO Home page does not show any of the Suggested sites when Delve is turned off.

My client has changed their mind and it will be left on.

Thanks for that, that's what we suspected. 

So no Suggested sites, which ties in with that slide I posted.  That means no recent activity in SharePoint, no Clutter perhaps, no trending videos in O365 Video, that's quite a lot!    It looks like Office Graph is used with Security & Compliance Portal as well.

It would be great to get an official list, so organisations can make informed decisions.

I agree, MS has improved their documentation in some areas, but they still seem unable/unwilling to give clear, concise lists of showing all of the dependencies between systems, services and features.
Some more things:
(1) Discover in ODFB
(2) Copy files from ODFB to SPO I'm pretty sure it's also going to be affected
(3) Suggested People
(4) New Site Contents Page
(5) New contact cards
(6) Office 365 home page?
...what else? I think I'm going to write a post about this

Thanks @Juan Carlos González Martín, that's quite the list.  

A post about this would be useful.  It would be good ammunition for why disabling Office Graph really is a last resort and not to be done lightly. Here, we are also looking at bulk tagging documents with the HideFromDelve attribute as a possible compromise.

Thanks @Dean Gross.

I wonder whose arm we would have to twist to get an official breakdown of functionality impaired by turning Office Graph off.   I'd personally like to see a fair bit of detail, screenshots even, before and after, taking out the guesswork. 

We face the prospect of having to turn off Office Graph here, just so we can observe the differences ourselves.  Not ideal on a production tenant!

Adding @Mark Kashman  to the thread

I think with AI such a focus within Microsoft that 'switching off' the Microsoft Graph will become a serious compromise. Since the nature of the Graph is a service and now firmly cross-product, ownership within Microsoft is really at the API level. I really think that your approach using HideFromDelve programmatically will eventually be the only practical route.
Agree we need option to turn it off. I personally love the feature and understand it is only showing information I shouldn't see because permissions have been set wrong. But it really scares users and managers. I don't think they are quite ready for it.

I'm looking for a powershell way to switch off the Delve sharing option that is normally under the options. Anyone can point me in the right direction?

did you found anything?

No, managed to get management to accept the icon there. 

for per-user or for bulk change, we can use below-mentioned commands:

Set-PnPUserProfileProperty -Account <UPN> -PropertyName "DelveFlags" -Value $null
Set-PnPUserProfileProperty -Account <UPN> -PropertyName "OfficeGraphEnabled" -Value $null
I have a customer with the following setting: - Microsoft Graph disabled - Targeted Release They still don't see the global Search box on top of SharePoint sites. Is there any correlation to switching of the MS Graph?