Delve/SharePoint Search - Not Showing all Word Docs

Brass Contributor

We've been using Delve for some time, but noticed today (and perhaps this has always been the case) that it's not finding all word documents. This is a very simple example to demonstrate the problem:

1. Create a word document and save it in a SharePoint library with a unique name
  2. Convert the word document to a PDF and save it in the same location with the same filename
  3. Seach Delve for that unique name

When we do this, we can see that only the PDF is surfaced in the search results, not the DOCX file.

• Unique filename: C17-01181
  • Search term: 01181 (or "C17-01181")

I've actually just tested this using SharePoint seach and it has the same problem, so perhaps it's SharePoint search that is the issue?

Interestingly, in SharePoint search, if I click the "Word" filter on the left hand side, then the document appears! It's like word documents are excluded from the "All" search.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

SharePoint Library - PNG, DOC and PDF

Delve Search - PDF and PNG only

SharePoint Search - PDF and PNG only

20170405-DocumentList.png20170405-DelveSearchResult.png20170405-SharePointSearchResult.png

4 Replies
Very strange...does it happen with all word documents? I can confirm that in my tenants Delve is surfacing Word documents and also that I can find word documents in the search center without applying any filters

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have been trying to narrow down the documents that are affected and I can't. A number of word documents appear in the search, but others don't. It doesn't appear to be related to which SharePoint site, or whether there are special characters in the filename. It's a mystery...

Has anyone noticed anything similiar? Documents not appearing in search when you know they're there?

I have a similar problem.   At the moment I am working with two word documents that are not showing.  They are not showing in DELVE ) your recent documents.  They don't show in any delve search either.    

If i start word, they are under recent documents.

For the SharePoint Search the first thing to check is the "Trim duplicates" option in the search result webpart. I'm not sure if duplicates are trimmed in Delve too.