Purview costs clarification

Microsoft

Hi, the page https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/azure-purview/ shows Purview current prices, most of which are zeroed until Feb 28th. 

However I have this doubt related to the capacity units: we say they cost $0.342 per capacity unity per hour for Purview Data Map, but I'm not sure if this cost depends on the actual usage, or is charged regardless by the data being analyzed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if we charge a minimum of 4 capacity units per hour 24X7, this would mean 0.342 * 4 * 24 * 30 = $ 984.96 / month after Feb 28th, even if the Customer doesn't have any data in their data estate.

Am I right? Thank you very much for clarifying,

Mauro

2 Replies

@Mauro_mauromi +1 on your issue.

I have incurred significant costs due to the unclear pricing on my subscription. I had provisioned an Azure Purview resource in December 3rd week. And till Jan 22, 2021, the accumulated cost was 0. By 27th Jan 2021, the accumulated cost shot up to $120.03! I immediately deleted the resource and haven't provisioned one again.

I wish the pricing was as easy to understand as that for Azure Data Catalog.

@SushantBindra in our evaluation for our Company we've seen all of a sudden costs being charged since the 21st of January without any explanation. Microsoft Support sofar has not been any help. We have been forced to abandon our evaluation and delete our instance to avoid unexplained costs for this "free" preview running up. As we have an enterprise subscription according to the FAQ we should have four free capacity units and free meta data storage so where the costs are coming from when we are running no scans is a mystery.