The name 'my-keyvault-NNN' is already in use

Copper Contributor

hi all,

I am doing Part - 6 of AZ 900 and trying to create a "Key Vault" and getting the following error message: "The name 'my-keyvault-NNN' is already in use, or is still being reserved by a vault which was previously soft deleted. Please use a different name."

I have look at the documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/general/key-vault-recovery?tabs=azure-portal#list-r...

However, when I am the step where it says: "Manage deleted key vaults", the concerning key vault cannot be found under the subscription.

Please can you help?

Thanks,

Naveen

6 Replies

I'm having the same issue when I'm trying to complete this sandbox

campbell_kerr_0-1621989702627.png

Had the same issue when trying to use "keyvault1" and "kv1". It worked with "testing1235134134"

If you read the error message it does say that the name of the keyvault is globally unique, meaning the name you write can't be in use already by any Azure customer worldwide. Just like storage accounts

@naveen73 So as @Tommykobberoe said, you need global (!) unique name. I've created a quick powershell script to generate random 24 alfa-numeric string, if someone is so unlucky as I was with thinking of unique name.  :smile:

Powershell script - New-RandomAzureKeyVaultName 

Please can you suggest i am always getting same vault error. I never created any vault and if i try to give any any"Name your appliance" giving me same vault error. Dont know form where this vault error i am getting.

When i try to list CLI vault list it shows empty.

error:
The vault name 'Assessment1578kv' is already in use.

@nitya041981 it does not matter if you have ever created vault. As mentioned before - these are global unique names. It has to be unique globally. Just use the PS script to generate random vault key name that I've provided.