system image

Copper Contributor

when i create a system image, it wants to include one of my regular drives which has nothing to do with the OS. why does it do this?

win10pro64 v2004

6 Replies

Hello @alk44

That is the intended behavior. There are two image creation methods in general, system and disk. System includes all disks of the VM as disk image.. well the name gives it away, right?

At the moment Azure supports a system image and AFAIK a disk image option may come in the future but if and when I cannot say.

I hope that helps

Cheers
Rolf
#MCT #LearnWithRolf #TheCloud42  

@Rolf-42    i have 7disks [actually 1 ssd C: and 2 hdd's with 3 partitions each].

why does it grab 1 of the partitions that has nothing to do with the OS?

how does it decide which partition?

i don't understand your reference to a VM. can you elaborate?

tnx

Hello @alk44

The reference to a VM (Virtual Machine) was used since you did not give any background info about your system in the 1st place. It was just an assumption that you are using a virtual machine.

So which OS are you using? From the drive letters I deduct Windows but is it Windows Server and if that is the case which version etc. How are the partitions formatted? All NTFS? Are all primary partitions or are the any other partition formats in use? Which tool do you use to create the system image?
All this comes into maybe finding an answer to your question.

Thanks

Cheers
Rolf

@Rolf-42   as my original post said, my system is win10pro64 v2004.

all are NTFS, primary partitions.

image was created using 'Create a system image' from the control panel.

Hi @alk44

Sorry I missed that piece of information. My bad. OK so, you are using the old "Backup and restore" (Windows 7) out of the control panel. That system image makes a copy of the drives required for Windows to run. That means your 2nd disk probably holds the page file or any other information like user profile directory just as an example. And because of that the system image wants to cover that partition too. What is the behavior when you move everything incl. page file and user home or any system relevant files/folders to your C drive and reboot. Is the 2nd drive still backed up?

Looking forward to your answer.

Cheers
Rolf

Hi @alk44 

Same thing happening with me.. However, in my case, there is a hidden partition on one of my data drives.

I have not looked into how to separate seriously. The system where the problem exists for me is a 7 year old work horse. The perfect example of the adage "if it isn't broken don't fix it".

The 700+ GB system images are a pain. I had to use the image last week and was glad I had it. A clean install starting from Window7 to Current with all the updating and program installs. Yikes 

Anyway, sorry I could be of no more help than that.