SOLVED

Sandbox - "Template Deployment Failed..."

Copper Contributor

I am working on an MS Learn module exercise "Create a website hosted in Azure".  I clicked the link to set up the sandbox, which seemed to work, and signed into Azure portal.  The right hand side of the portal dashboard shows "MICROSOFT LEARN SANDBOX" under my profile email, and when I look at the directory setting, it also shows the sandbox selected as the current directory.

But when I follow the module directions and try to "create a resource" selecting "Wordpress" from the Azure marketplace, then selecting the learn-[...] resource group from the Concierge Subscription, the deployment fails.  I've tried on different regions, but all give the same error:  (Code: RequestDisallowedByPolicy)  

I've been trying to figure this out for A While Now, and my sandbox only has 1h 4m remaining, so at this point I'll probably just wait until it times out and try again.  But I would like to understand if there's something that I likely did wrong, so I don't get into the same situation with the next sandbox.

I've attached screenshots of the config & deploy errors, in case that's useful.

Thanks in advance for any info / help / pointers!

.Terri

5 Replies

The sandboxes are locked down with Azure policies to prevent use of expensive resources
The error you are getting is that you are trying to create a resource that is outside of the policies
Looks like you are trying to create a Web Apps with a Premium v2 tier which is a production level tier and quite expensive so I would guess that is what is being blocked
Looking at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/azure-architecture-fundamentals/exercise-create-websi... you should be choosing the free F1 tier

Julian - thanks so much for the quick reply! This does sound plausible, but I just went back into the create dialog and don't see anything that allows me to change the tier. If you look at the create screenshot that I posted, there is no "Database Provider" field listed, and I don't see any field that says "App Service plan/Location". I just guessed (incorrectly) that the Learn module was not quite in sync with the current Portal interface and that when I hit "Review + Create" at the bottom of the screen that the correct things would happen. Given the interface that I see, I can't tell how to specify my own database. Again, I don't know much about this, which is why I was going through the tutorial. But I do think your answer is correct, I just don't know how to select the free F1 tier.
Julian - I just looked at the reviews in Azure Marketplace and I am not allow in my issue. There are 5 reviews from today alone indicating the problem you mentioned. So you definitely got that right! Thanks again, but looks like I'll have to wait for an update to how things are launched from the marketplace link.
best response confirmed by TerriRa (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, you are correct. I have just tried it and you no longer have to select the Database Provider and there is no way to change the App Service plan tier. This is an issue with the ARM template
You could use the Microsoft Web App instead of WordPress. That still works
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TerriRa (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, you are correct. I have just tried it and you no longer have to select the Database Provider and there is no way to change the App Service plan tier. This is an issue with the ARM template

View solution in original post