File Explorer Title Bar

Brass Contributor

I have searching for a resolve regarding an Accent color displaying in the File Explorer Title Bar. If I choose a pre-installed Theme there is the Accent color in  the File Explorer title bar. I don't like those colors so I customized a pre-installed Theme and saved it. It displays as I want; however, it reverts to grey after I shutdown. Also sometimes randomly the Accent color will appear after my laptop has been on a few hours/days. Once I see it the accent color in the File Explorer Title Bar I use Sleep instead of shutdown. I have to reset the custom theme after shutdown. I also have to reconfigure drop shadows through regedit every time I do this as I don't want them on my desktop icons.

8 Replies
May 19 after I managed to get the accent color in the title bar I accidently chose shutdown and bar reverted to grey at reboot. I tried all the usual tactics in the past to get the color but unable. It is hit and miss getting the accent color to display. I decided to give up and just shutdown/reboot everyday and let the accent color issue go. HOWEVER, I rebooted 3 days ago and after a few hours the accent color was my chosen manual color! Weird to display weeks later and I made no changes whatsoever to my laptop and ran no updates! It is the accent color again and I will just choose sleep until I need to shutdown or restart after a WIN update orby accident!

Hi @CharmaineKavanagh,

Thank you for reaching out with your concern about the File Explorer Title Bar in Windows. I understand that you have customized a pre-installed Theme to your liking, but the changes revert to the default grey color after shutting down your laptop. Additionally, you mentioned that the Accent color sometimes appears randomly after a few hours or days of use.

To address this issue, I recommend trying the following steps:

1. Check for Windows updates: Ensure that your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates. Sometimes, updates include bug fixes that could resolve such issues.

2. Reset File Explorer settings: You can try resetting the File Explorer settings to their default configuration. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Open File Explorer.

b. Click on the "View" tab in the ribbon.

c. In the "Options" section, click on "Options" and then choose "Change folder and search options."

d. In the Folder Options dialog, go to the "View" tab.

e. Click on the "Reset Folders" button and confirm the action.

f. Click "OK" to save the changes.

3. Rebuild the icon cache: Resetting the icon cache might help in resolving the issue with drop shadows on desktop icons. Here's how you can do it:

a. Close all open programs and save your work.

b. Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer.

c. Delete the file named "iconcache.db". You may need administrative privileges to do this.

d. After deleting the file, restart your computer. Windows will automatically rebuild the icon cache.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it might be helpful to provide more information about your system configuration, such as the version of Windows you are using and any recent software or hardware changes you have made. Additionally, you can consider reaching out to Microsoft Support for further assistance, as they have dedicated teams to address Windows-related issues.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

@ow6nmusk 

@ow6nmusk  Nope! However, I found a workaround! This is my current colors with my own picture for the background and I chose a manual accent color. I saved the settings as a theme and selected to use it. The File Explorer title bar picks up a shade of color from the background picture and not the chosen accent color in settings, if I use a picture with blue it will be a shade of blue. The Start and Taskbar are from the Accent Color choices. I chose Orchid Light and this is the result. Again, if I choose any other color it will be that color in Start and Taskbar displaying different shades. I am happy with the results. I also figured out how to easily change the font color of the desktop icons from black to white. I choose blue as solid background color, then rechoose my saved background, restart explorer.exe. As for the dropshadow on the desktop icons, I select/deselect on Performance options, restart explorer.exe. Done! All is well after shutdown/restart!

Hi @CharmaineKavanagh,

Thanks for sharing your workaround with us! It’s awesome to see your resourceful approach in customizing the File Explorer title bar. Who would have thought that the background picture could have such a strong influence? It’s like the title bar is taking fashion cues from the picture, creating its own unique shade. Talk about a stylish File Explorer!

Your creative solution and insights will surely inspire other community members who want to add a touch of personalization to their Windows experience. Keep up the clever tricks and innovative thinking!

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, just give me a shout.

I’m here to help you rock your Windows customization!

Best regards,

@ow6nmusk 

Just frustrated it doesn't work when choosing a solid color from the choices and settings within WIN 11 or customizing one of its' themes. But in the end, I can save my own solid background or a picture and the colors work as they do as if I used a built-in WIN theme. where the file explorer title bar will be a color pulled from the theme background only.

@CharmaineKavanagh Hi,

Thank you good idea, but it's best to forward this feedback to the Feedback Center - so that Microsoft developers can deploy the fix -> to other users :)

Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app - Microsoft Support

LOL Ya I did that months ago when looking for a resolve. Told there isn't one, but I have since found a workaround!
Hello ,i'm new her.