SOLVED

DA-100 Labs not working

Brass Contributor

I cannot begin the Lab08A https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/visuals-power-bi/8-lab

getting the error "Hmm, something went wrong, Retry launching lab"

I´ve tryed to do the lab in spanish, in english, with Chrome browser, Microsoft Edge browser and also with Internet Explorer and always get the same error and cannot begin the lab.

Then I have tried to do some other labs I did weeks ago and also get the same error but only in some of them.

Anybody is getting the same and can help me? 

Thanks!

62 Replies
Hi everyone!

This is expected behavior. The virtual labs always reset when you close them. Make sure you don't close the lab window until you are completely done with the exercise or you will lose your data.

Each module should have a starting solution which lets you pick up where you left off, or you can keep the lab environment open and go straight into the next lab if it's a continuation. In either case, you should receive a badge for the module once you've completed it. If you aren't getting the badge at the end, let us know here and we'll see what's going on!

I hope that helps!
Mark Smith
Microsoft Learn

Thank you @markjulmar  I am seeing the lab now once I redo.

I got the badges.

Please advise if I need to redo the labs that were already done.

Also since select the done option results in a new environment once you reenter is it that we must not press the Done option at all even when all labs are completed. Will this erase the labs and prevent Microsoft from seeing what was done? Kindly advise.

Regards,

@markjulmar 

I redid the labs and minimize the labs. I did not close the window but when I woke up this morning it close by it self. Now I am back to the beginning (no history). 

It it not feasible to keep redoing the labs and time is going. Please advise.

Hi @KTM-01

Yes, the labs will also time out after a set period. However, that doesn't mean you've lost any work if you finished the specific module you were working on. If you have the badge in your Microsoft Learn profile, you've completed the module and gotten credit. You do not need to go back and do any work over.

Each module is independent and has a starting point which is already setup for you. Let's take an example to hopefully clear it up.  The Work with Power BI visuals - Learn | Microsoft Docs module focuses on designing a report with visuals. When you hit the exercise towards the end, you'll see a list of labs to do, but only one of these needs to be done to receive credit for the module:

markjulmar_0-1616773225748.png

The other links take you to different modules because the knowledge needed to complete this lab is built from those other exercises. So, if you had just taken this module in isolation, you could backup and go through the prior exercises if you wanted. That part is totally optional.

So, you'll open the lab window and keep it open while you work through the entire list of instructions on this page - and not on the other links. You'll use the starting report on the D:\ drive:

markjulmar_1-1616773510683.png

..and follow the instructions to complete the exercise. Once you're done, read through the last two units of the module until you get to the end and see the "success" popup. That's where you get credit for this module - which is added to the challenge. You can then close the lab window. Then if you decide to move onto the next module, you can - but you could also stop there and continue later by opening a new lab window from the next module in the challenge.

The key point is that as long as you finished the module you were working on before you went to bed, you should be fine. Check your MS Learn profile and verify you have all the badges for the modules you've completed. As long as they show up there, they are counted in the challenge.

I hope that helps!

mark

Thank you @markjulmar. This was so thoroughly explained. I have gotten all the badges for the labs I have done so far.

All I did to fix it was reload the page a few times and it worked.
Perfect -- let me know if any other questions come up. Have fun with Microsoft Learn!
Thank you. Will do.

I@frangoncab 

I now have labs working, but can't get to Powerbi.com as requested in lab 11:

claire_save_0-1617014833654.png

Help! I only have 24 hours to get this done!

Hi @claire_save --

Where do you see instructions to sign into powerbi.com? I'm not 100% familiar with these labs and didn't see anything about that in lab 11. Can you post the URL of the page?

The above error looks like the original URL wasn't secure. You might try just navigating directly to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/ -- that's where it resolved for me -- remove the en-us if you're not wanting the English version and it should use your browser language to determine which locale to pull up.

Hi @claire_save
I didn't get that error but i think clicking in a below link in your snapshot you can allow the browser o navigate in not secure webs.

Regardless that is strange, try with the @markjulmar advice.
I'm glad I found this thread! Thank you for sharing this!

I just tried starting the first lab and it won't load on any of my devices. It just says "Please wait while connecting.." then get a popup saying the "the connection to your lab machines appears to have been interrupted". I've been at this for over 30 minutes and have gotten nothing done :(

Not all heroes wear tights.
Thank you *_*
Hi there! I'm having the same problem, Lab - Prepare data in Power BI Desktop ( Lab access suspended). Thank you for your help!
Lab is not working sept 24. 2021. Anyone know anything about why and how can I message MS about it?

@Hnokhart It's working here. What error are you getting? Perhaps try clearing your cookies, or an incognito browser and see if that helps?

@markjulmar Thank you for response
First....Hmm
Second: Lab access suspended
Third: Your account or connection was flagged for unusual activity. Because of this we've suspended your access to the Learn lab on demand. If you think we've made an error, you can submit an appeal to regain access.

Tried incognito browser, deleted log in Chrome browser. Still not working. ???

@Hnokhart send me a private message with your email and I'll check on the appeal.

I have the same problem. 
Launching any lab so far in microsoft learn results in 

1. Hmm something went wrong

2. Retry Launching

3. Account suspended -> appeal 

I've been trying for 3 weeks to access different labs, with chrome or edge, reloading, emptying cache, logged in with work account or personal account. 

Were you able to help @Hnokhart ? Can you help me? @markjulmar 

@AP_S-82 and everyone else in this thread --

Something to keep in mind ..

If MS Learn ever responds with "Something went wrong", it means there's a capacity or connectivity issue with the partner that hosts that lab (it's not hosted by Microsoft). In this case, continually trying to launch it will cause the automated system to think you are trying to repeatedly activate the same lab (which commonly happens in fraud cases) and you will be banned.

This specific message indicates the system cannot recover and you should move onto the next unit and continue your learning. This will not affect your completion of the content as these external labs are not tracked by our system.

For now, please do not repeatedly try to activate the same lab - we haven't found a good way to differentiate this case from true fraud as it spans several different disconnected systems.  Go ahead and move onto the next unit and finish the content in the module (ignore all labs in that module as they all use the same specific lab environment which will not launch).

Hopefully this will help future users. Thank you!

Mark Smith

Docs interactivity