Windows Autopilot - The device object for the Windows device in AAD is disabled

Copper Contributor

We are having an issue that started to happen back in May. Where  the new device object for the Windows device in AAD that  are registered/imported into Autopilot are disabled and do not get enabled even after a licensed user log on to the device. Our autopilot deployments where working without issues until April. I have opened tkts with Microsoft support, but have not received an answer for this issue. Here is the issue in detail:

Hope someone might know how to solve this. 

1. Use case Hybrid Azure AD Join

2. We deploy the user-driven deployment profile to all machines using a dynamic azure ad group 

3. Autopilot process starts,

4. Device Preparation/Set up Step completes successfully

5. Security policy apply successfully

6. Certificates  for always on vpn via SCEPman deploy successfully

7. Apps install successfully

8. licensed user log on to the device

9. The device object for the Windows device in AAD never gets enabled.
  10. Manually enable the device object for the Windows device in AAD for wifi and other profiles to deploy successfully.

2 Replies
Hi... just wondering but looking at this doc
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/autopilot/known-issues#duplicate-device-objects-with-hybrid-az...

"A device object is pre-created in Azure AD once a device is registered in Autopilot. If a device goes through a hybrid Azure AD deployment, by design, another device object is created resulting in duplicate entries."

Could you confirm that this is the case?

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 
Appreciate the response.
Yes. This is the case. However, both entries for the Same device, one with 'Join Type' "Azure AD joined", and one with "Hybrid Azure AD joined' were being enabled until April. I don't know what changed on the Microsoft side. We have not made any changes to our deployment profiles.
I can provide pictures and logs if needed. I am new to the platform, how do i upload them?
Thanks~