Win10 multi-app kiosk local user - win32 app post-autopilot not working

Copper Contributor

Similar to this  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/378888/win32-apps-don39t-install-on-intune-kiosk....

That was posted in May, with no recent updates, other than some BS from a "Community Expert" which doesn't even come close to answering the question.

Our Win10 multi-app kiosk policy with local user logon doesn't seem to install Win32 apps after it completes autopilot.  If you make the apps required in the ESP, they install fine...once... but they'll never update or get other non-ESP required app deployments, because the user is a local user and not an AAD user.

Is that the expected behavior and why is Microsoft always doing something silly like this? Basically it makes the device unmanaged.  Because apps never have security vulns and they never need to be updated, right?  Maybe if the Intune dev team were handed a monthly report from InfoSec showing all the app vulns that need updates to fix... just divorced from reality, I guess.

I swear I need to retire from IT.

1 Reply

Hi @MC_Edwards,

Did you already tried to assign the required app to a Device group? Because a device groups don't care who's signed in on the device, or if anyone is signed in. You want your settings/application to always be on the device.

Assign device profiles in Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs

Also I can share you a great blog post about the user or group assignment:

Intune: Choosing whether to assign to User or Device Groups | Modern Workplace Blog (vansurksum.com)

Some blogs about multi app kiosk settings

Kiosk settings for Windows 10 in Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs

Setup a Windows 10 Multi App Kiosk device with Microsoft Intune | In The Cloud 247

How to configure Windows 10 in Multi App Kiosk mode with Microsoft Intune (robinhobo.com)

Please let me know if this has helped you to fix the Multi app kiosk problem and please mark my answer also then as a solution.

Kind regards,

René