Tech Community Live: Microsoft Intune
Mar 20 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

WhiteGlove deploy when both Language/Region and Keyboard Set in AutoPilot Profile

Copper Contributor

Hi all, Windows AutoPilot now lets you automatically configure the keyboard on User-Driven deployment profiles (this was previously only available on Self-deploying profiles).

When both the language/region and the keyboard are configured, the AutoPilot process completes silently and presents the Windows login screen once it finishes.
This is a great experience for the end-user, but it means that we don't get the opportunity to run a white-glove deployment to pre-install software and settings before giving the device to the user.

The White-glove process can only be initiated from the first OOBE screen (usually language/region or keyboard). Since these screens are skipped when those settings have been configured, there is no opportunity to start the white-glove deployment.

Does anyone have an idea as to how we could still achieve the ability to run White-glove deployments, but also have the end-user experience fully automated and not require them to choose a keyboard (which can be confusing for some).

6 Replies

@JoelMills 

This is something I've noticed too. 

However, I don't think there is a way around it except for not setting the regional settings automatically with the Autopilot profile. It will only pose a problem with the new 2004 builds so far. 1909 and below are not affected according to what I tested. And don't know if they will backport this. 

But maybe @Michael Niehaus can weigh in. 

best response confirmed by JoelMills (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Michael already blogged about this one here and tried to clarify it a little bit:

https://oofhours.com/2020/02/03/configure-language-settings-for-any-scenario/

Another important note about these:  If you configure them, you won’t be able to initiate a white glove deployment any more, because OOBE will automatically progress past the point where you can press the Windows key five times.  So, if you want to automatically choose a language, don’t do white glove; if you want to do white glove, don’t configure these.  We’ll try to remove this restriction in a future release.  (Alternatively, you could choose not to make a network connection, e.g. don’t connect the Ethernet cable, until after you’ve pressed the Windows key five times.)

@Oliver Kieselbach @Michael Niehaus 

I'm aware this one is quite old right now, but can one tell me wheather this issue has been solved meanwhile? I would like to prestage regional settings but at the same time I need to proccess White Glove.  Unfortunately, I can't test this myself right now, or I wouldn't have asked the question.

@PeMiGra 

According to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/autopilot/pre-provision
This is apparently fixed in Windows 11, but I haven't tested this myself yet.

For Windows 10 we automatically set the Language/Region, but we still avoid configuring the keyboard to allow for White Glove (pre-provisioning). 

Note

In Windows 10, version 2004 and later, if the Autopilot deployment profile Language/Region setting is not set to User Select, then OOBE will progress past the language/region/keyboard selection screens. This causes the pre-provisioning technician to arrive at the Azure AD login page, which is too late to enter pre-provisioning. This issue is fixed in Windows 11.

@JoelMills 

Thank you so much for reaching out. Unfortunately I couldn't test it with Windows 11 yet either but it's on my agenda.

@PeMiGra for what its worth , I am having this same issue with multiple clients all using windows 11. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JoelMills (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Michael already blogged about this one here and tried to clarify it a little bit:

https://oofhours.com/2020/02/03/configure-language-settings-for-any-scenario/

Another important note about these:  If you configure them, you won’t be able to initiate a white glove deployment any more, because OOBE will automatically progress past the point where you can press the Windows key five times.  So, if you want to automatically choose a language, don’t do white glove; if you want to do white glove, don’t configure these.  We’ll try to remove this restriction in a future release.  (Alternatively, you could choose not to make a network connection, e.g. don’t connect the Ethernet cable, until after you’ve pressed the Windows key five times.)

View solution in original post