SOLVED

What is the wildcard for Serial Number in Intune

Copper Contributor

To create an app configuration policy ,I have tried both $serial number$ and %serial number% but none works. What is the correct wildcard please

Thanks

12 Replies
App configuration policy involving a serial number? Can you provide more details on what you are trying to configure?
Endpoint.microsoft.com>Apps>App Configuration Policy>
On the Basics Section: Fill name and description; On Platform select: Android Enterprise
What Profile Type was choosen? (All Profile Types / Fully Managed… / Personally-Owned…)
What is the Targeted app?
On the Settings Section: On Configuration settings format select: Use Configuration designer
Click on +ADD and select: Device´s serial number

Will like to deploy many devices with the identifier as serial number. Will be horrible to enter individual serial numbers. Most MDMs have that functionality. Thanks
And what is the name of the targeted app? Each supports different set of configuration keys.
That should not matter, We are talking about the serial number of a device. Pick any app. For example, some MDM/EMM platforms might use the string $serialnumber$ in a script or in a Managed Config template and then substitute the actual value of the serial number for the device during deployment. Soti MobiControl for example is %SERIALNUM%.
Does Intune has a wildcard for serial number please?
Thanks
It does matter and I am not aware of any configuration key that supports device’s serial number. Intune id, even azure id but not Device serial number for sure. Since you are not willing to provide the details I asked for, then maybe wait for someone else to help you with your query. Good luck.
best response confirmed by chebsto (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I really appreciate your help and I thought I already provided you the details. at 08:46 am today. Will send it again. Below are the steps
On the Basics Section: Fill name and description; On Platform select: Android Enterprise
What Profile Type was choosen? (All Profile Types / Fully Managed… / Personally-Owned…)
On the Settings Section: On Configuration settings format select: Use Configuration designer
If you follow those steps, you are able to select Token, Serial Number and IMEI as string types under the configuration key. What you mentioned ie Intune ID etc etc are Variable types that can be added under the configuration key. I am able to deploy a device by entering its own serial number under the configuration key by selecting the Serial Number. My problem is , I do not want to do that for every devices, I just need a valid willdcard that pick the serial numbers after deployment. Unfortunately I cannot attach image. Hope this help. It seems Intune does not have the wildcard capability at this moment which is very worrying.
Not a good day lol, mistakenly ticked the wrong box as best response. Can this be unticked?
{{SerialNumber}} ?
@DRich22,
Did not work. Seems Intune does not support wildcards with value strings type. If Microsoft could add Serial number as Variable type that should solve the problem. At the moment they have just limited options like IMEI, User Id, Account Id.
Another option will be to run a script but that is also a limitation at the moment as well when it comes to Android devices......... Have contacted Microsoft Support and looking forward talking to their Product Manager.
Thanks
Did you ever get a reply from MS support? Could use the same functionality for iOS.
I am also on the hunt for this information.

For anyone interested in potential use cases, one I have seen used is associating an enterprise mobile device, like an iPad, with a specific room in a hospital, typically in a backend server for the app. The mobile device is factory reset between patients in the hospital, and apps that are reinstalled by the MDM use managed app configuration to reconstitute its prior provisioned state, including location assignment. In iOS, unique device identification is not normally available to an application due to Apple's platform privacy policy. A workaround some companies have developed is using device serial number wildcarded into the managed app config. The app then uses that serial number to ask its server for the rest of the information needed to provision. This technique was developed around serial number wildcarding capability available in JAMF Pro and Airwatch. If Intune lacks this capability, then this technique will not be possible.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by chebsto (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I really appreciate your help and I thought I already provided you the details. at 08:46 am today. Will send it again. Below are the steps
If you follow those steps, you are able to select Token, Serial Number and IMEI as string types under the configuration key. What you mentioned ie Intune ID etc etc are Variable types that can be added under the configuration key. I am able to deploy a device by entering its own serial number under the configuration key by selecting the Serial Number. My problem is , I do not want to do that for every devices, I just need a valid willdcard that pick the serial numbers after deployment. Unfortunately I cannot attach image. Hope this help. It seems Intune does not have the wildcard capability at this moment which is very worrying.

View solution in original post