SOLVED

Uninstall Google Chrome

Iron Contributor

Dear all,
Can I check here, how can we uninstall/remove the Chrome browser by Intune?
What I've tried:
Previously, I created a Google Chrome App configuration profile, to push to all the devices. Now I created another Uninstall Google Chrome Group to uninstall the Chrome browser for all the devices. Pls see the below attached.

Sk73_0-1649741363766.png

Under the Assignment uninstall blade, I assigned it to that group. The group inside only have two devices, me & my colleague. This way, it seems like works for my device but not my colleague device. Is there a diff way to uninstall the Chrome by Intune? 

Will be grateful for any help you can provide.

Thanks.

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Sk-73 (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi, normally the option you have chosen, should work. Thats also the first one I would try. Another possibility would be a powershell script or maybe even better convert this one to a proactive remediation script!

$SEARCH = 'chrome$'
$INSTALLED = Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, UninstallString
$INSTALLED += Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, UninstallString
$RESULT = $INSTALLED | ?{ $_.DisplayName -ne $null } | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -match $SEARCH }
if ($RESULT.uninstallstring -like "msiexec*") {
$ARGS=(($RESULT.UninstallString -split ' ')[1] -replace '/I','/X ') + ' /q'
Start-Process msiexec.exe -ArgumentList $ARGS -Wait
} else {
$UNINSTALL_COMMAND=(($RESULT.UninstallString -split '\"')[1])
$UNINSTALL_ARGS=(($RESULT.UninstallString -split '\"')[2]) + ' --force-uninstall'
Start-Process $UNINSTALL_COMMAND -ArgumentList $UNINSTALL_ARGS -Wait
}

Hi @Rudy_Ooms_MVP Thanks! I have remove the group from the App configuration profile. I created a script profile. 

Sk73_0-1649755281755.png

Sk73_1-1649755293488.png

Sk73_2-1649755310243.png

I will update u with the outcome. Cheers :thumbs_up:

Hi,@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

The script I created apply to my colleague device is still failed. :cryingwithlaughter: But my device this time round still succeeded. I checked my machine, cannot find the Chrome anymore.

Chrome script gpo.png

Wondering to know, in future, if my device still want to install Chrome, is it I must create a new group assign to exclude? Or I need to create another script to allow me install the Chrome? 

Yhis powershell script is only run once... so if you reinstall it again... it will still be installed.
When converting it to a proactive remediation... you could rerun it each hour to detect and uninstall it.. (targeting at a specific group)

Hi,@Rudy_Ooms_MVP Can I check with you, how to converting it to a proactive remediation?

Hi Rudy,
This script does not remove the exe for Chrome.
Any suggestions?

Regards
Which exe? Which part of the script is not working? If there are limited number of versions installed then you can simplify the script and just use uninstall strings in one liners in form of msiexec /x {guid} /qn
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sk-73 (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi, normally the option you have chosen, should work. Thats also the first one I would try. Another possibility would be a powershell script or maybe even better convert this one to a proactive remediation script!

$SEARCH = 'chrome$'
$INSTALLED = Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, UninstallString
$INSTALLED += Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, UninstallString
$RESULT = $INSTALLED | ?{ $_.DisplayName -ne $null } | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -match $SEARCH }
if ($RESULT.uninstallstring -like "msiexec*") {
$ARGS=(($RESULT.UninstallString -split ' ')[1] -replace '/I','/X ') + ' /q'
Start-Process msiexec.exe -ArgumentList $ARGS -Wait
} else {
$UNINSTALL_COMMAND=(($RESULT.UninstallString -split '\"')[1])
$UNINSTALL_ARGS=(($RESULT.UninstallString -split '\"')[2]) + ' --force-uninstall'
Start-Process $UNINSTALL_COMMAND -ArgumentList $UNINSTALL_ARGS -Wait
}

View solution in original post