Surface Go cant be a kiosk?

Brass Contributor
I originally posted this on Surface TechCommunity, got lots of views but havent received an answer.

I was looking into using Surface Go as a kiosk for front line workers; I did a demonstration using a Surface Pro and it worked great , added the Surface Go to same Intune group and the same device category and tags then received notices that the kiosk device configuration is not applicable.
Both are at the same OS version (10.0.18363.836). Did some browsing and found that the Surface Go didn't have the Set up a kiosk option under All Settings->Accounts->Family & Other Users.
Any insight?
4 Replies

@Jason Maclauchlan 

Surface Go can be used for Kiosk. I tried this setup in April and I was able to use the Assigned Access Kiosk setup from the Settings menu - I tried this in the Enterprise edition. What edition of Windows are you running on the Go? "Settings > About" should have that info - though am guessing you probably know that already :)

Adding @LilyHou to the thread

The issue wasnt with the hardware, the Surface Go shipped with Windows 10 Home versus Windows 10 Pro. When troubleshooting I only looked the Windows 10 version numbers via Winver.

Yep, as you mentioned, hardware is not the issue here and WinVer is an easier option to check the edition too :)

Per the table under "## Methods for a single-app kiosk running a UWP app" at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-methods, Assigned Access setup in Settings menu is available only in Pro, Ent and Edu editions.

From your response, I'm not sure if you upgraded the Home edition to Pro or not. If not already done so, could you please try upgrading to Pro or a higher edition and then check whether the option is showing up?