SOLVED

Starting Wait for ODJ Blob

Brass Contributor

This is the status where I am having problems joining the device to Hybrid Autopilot domain. Not sure whether this is a connectivity issue between the laptop to the INTUNE connector? I can ping the domain controller from Intune connector and no problem. 

Screenshot 2022-08-11 165029.jpg

41 Replies
The server running the intune connector connects to the Microsoft services on the internet and listens from incoming request on hybrid join prife. If it finds one, it requests a computer account and sends the blob data to intune, the computer that's being deployed pulls that data from intune

@Harm_Veenstra  No luck that URL was opened up and still cannot complete the process of registering the device. I think the last option is to open up the servers to the internet. Not sure how risky it is going to be. I need to do this to get past this hurdle. I see that there are some red alerts in Wireshark from the capture.

DCtoIntune.PNGdcTOIntune2.PNG

You can open the firewall temporarily for the server and see if that fixes it, mostly it's not having TLS1.2 enabled or some kind of inspection of the traffic that the connector doesn't like. And it's server-initiated traffic towards internet, you're not opening the server to the whole world ;)
We have opened it to the internet the 2 Intune servers and I am testing now. But last night in the event log in ODJConnector I see the following:

We do not have a proxy server. I did check the config file in both the ODJConnector as per this document
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/mem/intune/intune-connector-for-ad-not-appear
and also
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/enrollment/autopilot-hybrid-connector-proxy

There is no proxy specified in the config file so that I could not even change it to FALSE. It is still spinning and not sure how long it takes for the ODJ blob file to download and set it it up? Usually an hour or less than that?

ODJRequestHandlingPipelineDownload_Failure: Failed to download ODJ requests.
InstanceId:We are unable to complete your request because a server-side error occurred. Please try again. [Exception Message: "DiagnosticException: 0x0FFFFFFF. We are unable to complete your request because a server-side error occurred. Please try again."] [Exception Message: "DiagnosticException: 0x0000040F. HTTP request is unsuccessful."] [Exception Message: "odjHttp.Call failed. activityId=bf9d5706-4b99-4624-86ac-0886888328d6 parameters={"options":{"batchSize":null,"connectorBuildVersion":"6.2204.38.3","connectorName":"MMI-ICS01-CYH"}}"] [Exception Message: "Expected:OK Responded:503 (Service Unavailable)"] [Exception Message: "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Service Unavailable</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></HEAD>
<BODY><h2>Service Unavailable</h2>
<hr><p>HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.</p>
</BODY></HTML>
"],
DiagnosticCode:CBEB90D3-5A20-4109-B8C9-CF3D6B32BF71,
DiagnosticText:Unknown_Error
This process is pretty fast, the intune connector gets a request and creates and sends a blob almost immediately. You did open internet for testing completely now for the server running the Intune Connector? No errors in the firewall from that server when enrolling a client?

Do you have the Hybrid Azure AD Join profile assigned to the same group in which you assign a Domain Join Profile?

So, it failed again at Step 6. The connection to the Internet is wide open between the Intune connector and the Internet. Looks like same thing, and probably it is not getting what it should get from the domain controller. Is there any article what kind of ports should be opened between Domain controller and Intune connector or any specific rules, as our environment is very restricted.

Here’s a description of those numbered steps:

The device will send its hardware hash to the Windows Autopilot services.
If the device is registered with Windows Autopilot and has an Autopilot profile assigned to it, the profile details will be provided to the device. In the Hybrid Azure AD Join case, the profile would tell the device what Azure AD tenant the device is associated with and that the device needs to be joined to Active Directory, but it does not specify the Active Directory domain details.
The user will be prompted for their Azure Active Directory credentials (or if using white glove, the device will perform TPM attestation) to get an Azure AD token; that token will be used to enroll the device in Intune. Intune will be notified as part of the enrollment process that it needs to get the device joined to Active Directory.
Intune will look for a Domain Join device configuration profile assigned to the device (via the groups that device is part of). Assuming it finds one, it will create a request for the Offline Domain Join connector (officially named the “Intune Connector for Active Directory”). If it doesn’t find one, steps #5 and #6 will never happen, and the device will time out waiting for an ODJ blob that will never come.
The ODJ connector picks up the ODJ request from the Intune service (it polls Intune looking for requests). If it finds a request, it will attempt to create an Active Directory object in the specified domain and OU using the naming prefix specified (all from that Domain Join profile). If that succeeds, it will upload the resulting ODJ blob representing that computer account to the Intune service.
When the device performs its next MDM sync (usually every 3 minutes, possibly even more frequently), it will receive that ODJ blob from Intune and apply it to the device. If the “skip connectivity check” setting is specified in the Autopilot profile, the device will immediately reboot to complete the domain join process. If the “skip connectivity check” setting is not specified, or if the device doesn’t meet the requirement for that setting, the device will first try to ping a domain controller for the domain (to ensure connectivity) before rebooting. If that ping test never succeeds, this step will time out and you’ll never get to step #7.
Finally, the user needs to sign into the device using Active Directory credentials, which need to be validated by an Active Directory domain controller, hence connectivity is required at this point; VPN connectivity can be used. See this post for more details on that.
So what can possibly go wrong? There are a few points of failure in this process:

There is no Domain Join profile targeted to the device.
The ODJ connector can’t create the ODJ blob for the device. - Yes
The device can’t establish connectivity. - Yes 
The user can’t sign in.
User ESP times out after the user signs in.
Strangely, I routinely see people run into one of these issues and then someone else will say “I’m seeing the exact same problem.” And more often than not, that’s not at all true. Being able to recognize the differences in these different failures is a key troubleshooting skill. You should be able to answer the following questions:

Did the ODJ connector process a request and upload a blob for the device? No
Did the device receive and apply the ODJ blob? - No
Did the device try to check connectivity?
If using a VPN connection off the corporate network, can it connect so the user can sign in?
Can the Hybrid Azure AD Join process complete so the user can get an Azure AD user token, needed to talk to Intune and other Azure AD-based services?

It needs https access to Microsoft Services I guess, should be in the MS documentation. Does the client have connectivity to your Domain Controllers during deployment? Can you ping your domain controller for example when in a Shift-F10 command-prompt during deployment?
I have a Wireshark capture that was running on Intune server and am looking into it. Not sure about the FW, network person did not see anything there I suppose. I think it is possible that there is some issue between the Intune Connector and Domain controller. Any events or event ID that I would see on the DC regarding the blob or Intune specific?
If the server which is running the connector service is in the same network/vlan... Then there should not be an issue, what do you see in the eventlog of the server in the OBJ eventlog?

And again... Can the machine you're deploying ping the domain controller when deploying? Is the hybrid join profile assigned to the same group (in which the computer is that you're deploying) and the domain join profile?

@Harm_Veenstra 

I think here is the problem. I see error Event ID 304 and 204 on user device registration event logs. Based on this it says that the device has to be on the internal network or on a VPN. These devices are not internal or in VPN, they are on independent users wireless network.

So, I am wondering whether there is a rule that should be in place for these devices to communicate to the domain controller? I see all the other things happening fine and the device is domain joined.

Screenshot 2022-08-17 075858.jpg
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/troubleshoot-hybrid-join-windows-cur...

Step 4: Check for possible causes and resolutions
Pre-check phase
Possible reasons for failure:

The device has no line of sight to the domain controller.
The device must be on the organization's internal network or on a virtual private network with a network line of sight to an on-premises Active Directory domain controller.

Well in the case OOBE devices they are not going to be on the network or on VPN, they are going to be joining using Wireless network at users home.
You can only deploy hybrid azure ad machines if they are a network on an office location with direct connection to your Domain Controller, you can't deploy machines at home. There's an exception to that rule, if you have a supported VPN client which can automatically connect to your network.. Then it also works, but the list of VPN suppliers that are supported isn't that big.

So... Can you deploy a windows 10/11 VM in your server network and try that just to see if that works? (Or a desktop/laptop at the office) Where are you testing now?
That will never work, normal autopilot profiles will work of course but not hybrid join for the reasons in my reply above
I am testing from my home not in office network. These are machines that are going to be shipped to users locations and they just take it out of the box and join.
Then this is not something that is going to work out for remote users. You will have to either stage them at work or don't use hybrid join.

I think I asked you that question many topics and replies ago, why do you what to hybrid join them? You can access fileservers for example with key trust and kerberos tickets from there on out
We earlier tried another laptop from our office network being inside the office, even that did not go through. So, I am going to try one more time. Well the reason being that there are legacy applications and they want to have it Hybrid AD till we decide to move to Azure AD. How that solves am not sure, I have never done Hybrid AAD, I have come from an AAD environment which was totally managed by Intune.
I guess firewalling issues, but you did change a few things now for your deployment. You could try the office again? And those legacy applications... Are the client/server based? Can you create remote apps from them using RDS? Where is the fileserver data, are you moving to Teams? So many questions making Azure AD or Hybrid Azure AD join the option to choose...
Isn't the purpose of Intune Connector for Offline Domain Join to make sure that it can get the domain information and join the domain? Isn't it the reason why this Blob is being send to the device? I am kinda confused on this.
That's the purpose, but your client needs to complete the domain join on the machine using the blob file. And it can only do so when in line of sight of the Domain Controllers of your domain.
Harm,
It looks it is very clear for Hybrid Azure AD join that u need to have a VPN. Which kinda is a bummer. Which does not make sense to me at all. But, I had another question in regard to Azure AD Join, which I have sent it to you directly.