SOLVED

Separate M365 apps for Enterprise from Visio and Project standalone

Copper Contributor

I have failed to find a way to do the following:

Use Intune to create Apps separately for M365 Office Suite ONLY (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.) 

and then create and deploy Visio Only and Project Only as different (standalone) Apps and deployments in Intune.

If I deploy let´s say M365 32 Bit Suite to the corresponding device install collection it installs fine.

Then I deploy to my install device collection my Visio or Project 32-Bit C2R (KMS activation) app also via Intune and installs.

Now I want to remove Visio and this part I can´t overcome. Removing the device from the Visio or Project install device collection and then Adding the device to my Uninstall targeted device collection nothing ever happens.

If I instead create a M365 Suite with Visio and then deploy it to the device  via the uninstall targeted device collection then it uninstalls, but it uninstalls also M365 (of course), but that is NOT a solution we can live with.

Using the config.office.com to customize and then add the XML content to the App Suite config step in Intune. 

Tested with Windows 10 20H2

Visio Standard and Pro version 2016 C2R and using KMS for activation (no issues with this part). 

Project Standard and Pro version 2016 C2R also with KMS license activation.

Need to cover both Std and Pro + 32 and 64Bit versions.

I need to be able to install / uninstall each version without removing whole M365 Office Suite.

Really weird if Intune can´t do the job?????

4 Replies
best response confirmed by christianl1980 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi so to be sure this isnt working

Create a config.XML and place it in a folder

Configuration>
<Remove>
<Product ID="VisioProRetail">
<Language ID="en-us"/>
</Product>
</Remove>
<Display Level="None" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEULA="TRUE"/>
</Configuration>

Add the office customization setup.exe to that folder
COnvert it to a win32 app , add it to intune and specify the setup parameter : setup.exe /configure config.xml

Hi Rudy

Thanks for trying to help. I am trying to use the App Type Microsoft 365 Apps you did notice that right?

I can of course try to make a Win 32 app that does the same and yes it was also my idea to try, but really do not understand why Intune can´t handle this as I would prefer to use a std. MS config instead of having to manually create an intune pck, but will try that now.

Moreover I would rather use one win 32app for both install and uninstall and might be the end of this challenge.

Hi :) I know... but as the built in functionality in intune to deploy (or uninstall) office 365 isn't that great I always use the win32 option as described here

https://call4cloud.nl/2021/02/office-csp-vs-win32app-dawn-of-justice/

So... for trying to uninstall the visio part I would try to do the same

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

Thanks for your help and it does work with the win32 app way with setup.exe and config.xml files.

Uninstall runs flawless. I am wondering if there are any benefits of keeping the install apps as they are and just create win32 apps for the uninstallations of each pro and std visio, project, 32/64 bit.

By the way using SCCM on premise to manage the devices in the install and uninstallation groups by syncing them via SCCM to AAD groups. Works perfect in my oppinion. Still easiest way for me to be able to check installation status / versions via device collections by queries that can be taken action upon.

I am a bit disappointed Microsoft does not have a better solution for managing their own M365 product :-(. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by christianl1980 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi so to be sure this isnt working

Create a config.XML and place it in a folder

Configuration>
<Remove>
<Product ID="VisioProRetail">
<Language ID="en-us"/>
</Product>
</Remove>
<Display Level="None" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEULA="TRUE"/>
</Configuration>

Add the office customization setup.exe to that folder
COnvert it to a win32 app , add it to intune and specify the setup parameter : setup.exe /configure config.xml

View solution in original post