search files based on Windows Information Protection (WIP) file ownership

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I use my personal PC both private and for work. From my work account I get policies pushed including WIP file ownership settings. In the context menu I can set 'file ownership' to either 'work' or 'personal'.

Typically all my work files are in work folders and my personal files in personal folders. However, sometimes I make a mistake and a personal file in a personal folder is labelled as a work file. 

This is not a big issue and I can manually correct it when I see it. However, I need to backup my personal folders myself and (as it should) WIP forbids my personal backup software to backup work files. As a result my personal backup software keeps retrying to backup these files and usually it takes some time before I notice this. The same happens with my private cloud sync software (both Synology).

I would therefor proactively want to spot if there are any as 'work' labelled files in my personal folders so i can put it into a script that runs regularly and notifies me. I'm looking for a command that can do that. Say something that would look like the following (non-existing) command: DIR /S c:\users\me\personal\*.* /WIPowner=work

I hope you can help me.

0 Replies