SOLVED

Rename all the Windows laptops and desktop computer name

Iron Contributor

Dear all,

Can I check with you guys, I've created a custom profile to rename my device, but it doesn't work as expected. There's no error code for my reference.

OMA-URL: ./Device/Vendor/MSFT/Accounts/domain/ComputerName
Value: HMBDSG-%SERIAL%
Group type: Assign.
Group member: Device
Target user: My laptop.
Error: I can see the error but, there’s no error code for me to refer to.

Sk73_0-1648707105395.png

Sk73_1-1648707131457.png

I did check out the view report

Error - Intune - Standardize Computer Name 2.png

Will be grateful for any help u can provide.

10 Replies
Have you considered using bulk actions instead? It is much easier that way. Here is a little something on the feature. https://rahuljindalmyit.blogspot.com/2021/04/intune-lets-talk-about-device-bulk.html
yes, it's a really cool function in Intune manager.
Currently, our users are based in two regions, I think the bulk action will apply to all.
best response confirmed by Sk-73 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

If you have a list identified then you can target it for bulk actions based on the same. Region 1 list 1, Region 2 list 2.

I just realized this can be selected the device I need to rename is not just applied to all. Awesome! Many thanks for ur kind help! Cheers

Hi@rahuljindal-MVP can I check with u, after the bulk action was created, where can I find the profile? If I want to edit something. Thanks.

The policy goes out as a device action. You cannot edit it later. I will suggest to test on a couple of devices before renaming all.
I see. Okay, I will have to handle it carefully. Thanks!

Hi @rahuljindal-MVP can I check with you if the rename status show completed, but how come the device profile is still showing the old device name?

Sk73_0-1648886507290.png

Thanks.

Hi, the updated name will not reflect unless the device has rebooted. After reboot the name should update on next sync.

Hi @rahuljindal-MVP  I see. You're very helpful, many thanks! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sk-73 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

If you have a list identified then you can target it for bulk actions based on the same. Region 1 list 1, Region 2 list 2.

View solution in original post