"Waiting for install status" / "Install Pending" despite installing perfectly fine?

Copper Contributor

Win32 app (MSI converted to .intunewin) with assignment of "required" showing as "Waiting for install status" under Device > Managed Apps and "Install Pending" under Apps > {appname} > Device Install Status, despite the app having installed fine on the client and working fine, toast notification showed as "installed succesfully"

Darren_Rose_0-1679342237197.png

Any ideas why this might be and what I can do about it or check to find out the cause ?

Other apps such as Company Portal, Microsoft To Do all installed and show correctly.

5 Replies

@Darren_Rose Heya - yes this is a common issue. MEM is slow at updating sometimes. They use Graph queries to interrogate the back end. Sometimes these happen quickly but other times it can be slow due to high traffic/throttling from what I can tell. Maybe the process that checks store apps is better because it's their stuff. 

If it installs just wait and it will show... eventually.

Just wanted to add that sometimes certain pages will show correct and not others. Compliance in MEM is the best place to see this. A device may show compliant but drill down and the policies still show non-compliant. I guess it's how it works. Device compliance (for example) is actually more important than the settings updating to show they are compliant (for CA reasons). Pulling the device compliance is quick but pulling the setting compliance is more effort and requests to get the full data - so the "synopsis" will update quickly but the "details" take longer.
Thanks for your reply - it has been a couple of days so far and still no change, a real pain if planning to use it to mass roll out and rely on the interface to know how it is going across multiple sites / users off-site etc
It is definitely a reporting issue as comparing the registry entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Win32Apps from a working machine (shows as Installed) to a non- working machine (shows as Install Pending / Waiting for install status) I can see under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Win32Apps\Reporting for the app in question that the value of LastFullReportTimeUtc and under ReportCache the value of LastTimeReportedUtc shows as today for the working machine but three days ago for the non-working machine.

Tried doing a sync of the device but this doesn't seem to force it do report.

Anyone know how to force it do report back?
Resolved.

Deleted LastFullReportTimeUtc from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Win32Apps\Reporting\{UserId} and then performed a sync, short time later the app now shows correctly in portal :)