Problems with KB4517389 and how to prevent deployment

Iron Contributor

We are apparently the select small number of users that are having issues with KB4517389 and the Start Menu; particularly the issue with the Action Center not opening.  It is known by MS but again small user impact and they are researching...  The question I have, we use Windows Update via the Intune Software Update Rings.  How do I go about preventing this update from installing/reinstalling?  I can remove the update but I was able to confirm that Windows Update will just reinstall it later.   Is deferring the update be answer? I see an uninstall option that seems to let me uninstall a quality/feature update. Not sure which one is best and the difference.  

2 Replies
Not the answer you were hoping for probably: you cannot defer one update. You can only defer all or no updates

Sadly I figured as much. WSUS definitely was a better solution at time like this... @Thijs Lecomte 

MS support responded and they recommended the Uninstall Quality Update option which per them will uninstall the update on all our machines and defer quality updates for 35 days (or until I resume them).  Hopefully next Tuesday they will fix this one.