Outlook and Android 9 (Pie)

Steel Contributor

Since updating to Android 9, I'm unable to send unmanaged content to Outlook (Work profile) as an attachment. The device configuration policy is set so "Apps in work profile can handle sharing requests from personal profile", but Outlook generates the following:

ERROR: Unable to add attachment due to IO error

Other managed apps in the work profile are able to receive unmanaged content from the personal profile, and devices running Android 8 are still able to use Outlook (Work profile) to receive unmanaged content. I've opened a ticket with Microsoft, but was wondering if anyone else come across this?

5 Replies

Sounds like a permissions issue.  I have a similar issue sometime back, but it just had to do with local storage.  Doesn't sound like it is the same issue as yours.

That's what I thought as well, but the prompt to allow access was granted and I've verified it in the work profile settings. The strange thing is that the exact same config policy and app protection policy is working effectively on Android 8. Outlook seems to be the only policy managed app on Android 9 that's having the problem receiving shared files from both the personal and work profiles, from non-policy managed apps. The workaround is to share the file to managed OneDrive, then send a copy to managed Outlook. Hopefully this is just a small bug that gets fixed in a future app update.

I would be interested to hear what they have said, as i have the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy S9

cheers

Brian

@eglockling wrote:

Since updating to Android 9, I'm unable to send unmanaged content to Outlook (Work profile) as an attachment. The device configuration policy is set so "Apps in work profile can handle sharing requests from personal profile", but Outlook generates the following:

ERROR: Unable to add attachment due to IO error

Other managed apps in the work profile are able to receive unmanaged content from the personal profile, and devices running Android 8 are still able to use Outlook (Work profile) to receive unmanaged content. I've opened a ticket with Microsoft, but was wondering if anyone else come across this?

Same issue on a Google Pixel 3 and Nokia 6.1, thought I had done something wrong.

I did find the permissions associated with the application did not change when modified on the console and I had to re-enrol the device.

I have tested Teams with the same content and I do not have this issue, will continue to troubleshoot from the Android Enterprise end. Would be good to know when you find out from Microsoft.

,Andrew

Microsoft says a fix is coming with service release 1903. Fingers-crossed.