Multiple autopilot profiles in TS for existing devices

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone :)

I hope you are all ok!

I would like to ask for some advise regarding configuration of autopilot.

In my organization we use SCCM and custom image to deploy various of computer models in a lot of locations. In all locations users use OS with their localized language.

We plan to run DaaS based on Intune Autopilot. I don't have much experience in that but I made some tests and results are not good. My Autopilot profile works without any issues with an OEM system but my newly deployed machine with custom image isn't get autopilot profile - of course I have imported CSV with all necessary data and assign a profile to group where my machine has been added. To run enrollment I need to have reset OS on my VM and then intune rollout works.

So I know that I need to export my autopilot profile as a json file and add a step in TS to make machines with my custom image worked. Is that correct?

If so - is there possibility to add multiple autopilot profiles to TS? I would like to create a few autopilot profiles where I will define installation of OS with a different language to allow users in different locations having completely configured OS out-of-box. Is that possible?

And the second question. I know that enrollment existing devices with autopilot doesn't requires import them (using CSV) to autopilot but what if we will import them with CSV file with additional group tag parameter. Based on that parameter and dynamic query will these devices  be automatically assigned to proper groups during enrollment? Or Autopilot of existing devices ignores information about imported devices?

And one more question. We have AD forest with four domains. Do we need four intune connectors one for each domain or one connector will be able to handle all requests for domain-join for all domains? I think about installation of one intune connector and delegate control in all four domains to this machine.

edit: All devices will be Hybrid Joined and Co-manage.

Thanks in advance for any answer and advice

Damian

4 Replies

Autopilot will not (automatically) work in pre-imaged environments. Autopilot is performed during deployment, and a pre-imaged device has already passed that stage (as explained in: Windows deployment process posters | Microsoft Docs). This also explains why you have to use "Reset my PC": this will return the device to the the deployment stage. 

Downloading and copying the JSON-file to %SYSTEMROOT%\Provisioning\Autopilot (for example in an MDT task sequence) is indeed an option. A good (albeit older) blog post about this is How to deploy Autopilot device fast with MDT – Mobile-First Cloud-First (osddeployment.dk)

A device can only have one Autopilot-profile assigned.

The Group Tag > Dynamic Group > Autopilot Profile process you describe is correct (and something I personally use a lot) but keep in mind that this has nothing to do with "enrollment" (I assume you mean Intune enrollment). It will not be applied during MDM enrollment, you will still need to "Reset" first. 

If you are injecting profiles into an image, you could create different images/task sequences for each profile. For your business case I would suggest using language packs instead, but that's just my preference. 

Finally, you do not have to install multiple connectors (although that might be a wise thing to do). Your service account of course has to have the correct permissions (like manage devices in all domains) as described in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/autopilot/windows-autopilot-hybrid#before-you-begin

as above - great points

I think a key thing to consider is to remove the mindset of custom images. They are no longer a great way to manage a device - Image native as possible (Autopilot ready from OEM is best) then layer on your Apps and Config

Hi Guys!

thank you all for clarification of my doubts and asks.

Finally I was able to deploy my custom image on VMs and run through autopilot with co-management and some applications installation using PROVISIONTS parameter and this work fine. However I have additional questions and concerns.

1. My custom image contains a set of preinstalled OS languages. When I deploy that image through SCCM after installation I can see menu that allows me to configure Windows with one of preinstalled language. However when I run task sequence with preparation for autopilot (sysprep at the end) I don't see this menu - is there a possibility to configure that setting to allow user to choose Windows language?
2. Do I need to do any additional steps before I run Autopilot Reset in order to configure previously autopiloted device again? I am asking because I try to do this with one of my machine - the process resets my machine, reinstalls Windows and now all steps under "Device Setup" are in "Identifying" state for a couple of hours.

Thank you and best regards
Damian

And one more concern. Is there any option to restart to autopilot that preservs apps included to custom image (Office in my case)? I noticed that Autopilot Reset for example leaves included language packs but removes Office. I am not sure but it seems that the only way is to run TS for existng devices again.