Microsoft Intune Company Portal for Linux and Conditional Access Issue

Copper Contributor

Greetings everyone,

I have the following scenario implemented regarding conditional access:

• Rule#1: For pilotuser1, for all cloud apps, for all platforms --> require MFA

• Rule#2: For pilotuser1, for all cloud apps except Microsoft Intune Enrollment and Microsoft Intune, for all platforms --> Require Device marked as compliant

This should allow me to enroll to Intune successfully a non-enrolled device and require the device compliance for the other workloads. For Windows it works just fine. The problem lies with Linux.

Following the instructions on Enroll a Linux device in Intune | Microsoft Learn & Get the Microsoft Intune app for Linux | Microsoft Learn I installed Intune App and Edge (Version 109.0.1518.52 (Official build) (64-bit)) on a VM with Ubuntu 22.04.

I open the Intune App and try to sign in:

First step is to Register the Device on Azure AD, it goes without a problem11.png --> ppolychron_0-1674164409615.png

On the next stage I get the following and press continue:

22.png

At this stage Microsoft Edge opens and I sign in successfully but the Intune App throws an error:

746c9a46-662c-4940-8ee0-29b0dd6d590c.png

The sign in logs on Azure AD show that even though I excluded Intune Enrollment from the CA policy, it is not enough. 

ppolychron_1-1674164755455.png

Sign-in error code: 530003
Failure reason: Your device is required to be managed to access this resource.

Additional Details:
The requested resource can only be accessed using a compliant device. The user is either using a device not managed by a Mobile-Device-Management (MDM) agent like Intune, or it's using an application that doesn't support device authentication. The user could enroll their devices with an approved MDM provider, or use a different app to sign in, or find the app vendor and ask them to update their app. More details available at https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/active-directory/active-directory-conditional-access-device-remedia...

Application: Microsoft Intune Company Portal for Linux
Application ID: b743a22d-6705-4147-8670-d92fa515ee2b
Resource : Microsoft Graph
Resource ID: 00000003-0000-0000-c000-000000000000
Client app: Mobile Apps and Desktop clients
Client credential type: None
Resource service principal ID: 01989347-a263-48ef-a8d7-583ee83db9a2
Token issuer type: Azure AD

Apparently something is different in the enrollment process of Linux  because I had no issues with Windows 10 enrollment .

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Panos

15 Replies

Hi @ppolychron ,

Are you including the “Microsoft Intune Enrollment” app in block mode for conditional access?Also, please try to keep the CA in report only mode to see what does your sign-in logs refer. 
The logs will be- 

Conditional Access > Sign-in logs -> User sign-ins (non-interactive)

Find the application with the name “Microsoft Intune Company Portal for Linux” and you should see “Failure” there. These will help to evaluate and fix the CA.

Hope it helps you in fixing the enrollment.

Best Regards,

Somesh

Hi,

It might be a bug because the Linux support is relatively new. Have you checked this blog post? It might be something to do with your Edge Version in the device. 

Complete Guide to Managing Linux with Intune - Prajwal Desai

Moe

Hello,

I also think its a bug. Trying with older versions of Edge didn't help either. Maybe I need to exclude also another cloud app (besides Microsoft Intune Enrollment and Microsoft Intune) or maybe something has to change in the process in order for Linux to have the same experience as Windows and Mac OS. Everything everything works fine there.

For the moment the only workaround we have is enroll the Linux Device before we enforce the specific CA policy.

Panos

Hi @ppolychron - thanks for the report! This definitely looks wrong. There's additional logic that should be kicking in to honor this request, but I don't think it's properly taking the Linux client's identity into account when doing so.

FYI @Intune_Support_Team in case we want to open a ticket to track. I'd like to take a look at this.

@benferse 

Thank you for your time reading the post. Any insights from you or the Team would be appreciated! 

Thanks for the tag @benferse!

@ppolychron - If you are still experiencing issues with this, please open a new support request via the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center's "Help and support" blade or any of the other methods here: aka.ms/IntuneSupport, as this will help provide our team with the necessary information to resolve the issue. Once created, please send us a message with your support request number so we can follow-up on it internally. Thanks!

@Intune_Support_Team  A support request has been already created with Case ID : 2302211420000695

Were you able to resolve it? I face the same issue.

Thanks in advance :)

@WelpeKeks  We don't resolved it yet ! The MS Case is still opened. I will come up with a reply when we have a resolution for that.

@WelpeKeks  Require MFA in conditional access for Linux is not supported from Microsoft! 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/MEM/intune/enrollment/multi-factor-authentication

MS Case closed.

@ppolychron There's a potential fix for this rolling out from Conditional Access. I'll report back when I've had a chance to validate it, hopefully in the next few days.

Thanks @alexmanis for the (unsatisfying) update. Appreciate that!

Hi @benferse 

any news regarding MFA and CA ?

Thanks, Stefan

Hello
Does someone know whether this issue has been solved?

@ppolychron We have MFA form Microsoft Authenticator and have the same issue without any conditional access policy and without any limit for user. Only This error after click register whithout request MFA (why?)