Microsoft Endpoint - Windows Selfdeploy / Autodeploy devices questions

Brass Contributor

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me with some questions about Microsoft endpoint/intune.

I have some questions about Windows Autodeploy/selfdeploy devices

1. Can I install MS Office on such devices so that different users can work with that? (or is there a restriction from microsoft that such devices are not allowed to run office on?)

2. How do you guys keep track on the licensing of such devices when you have multiple on different locations? After the docs that I read, you just have to keep an intune license for every selfdeploy windows device, but you dont assign that license to the device, correct?

Thank you very much

4 Replies

@MichaelW 

1. You can install MS Office on those devices. If you use the XML editor to write the Shared Licesning licensing lines, the installation can be used with different users who have the correct license.
Check here for more info https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-shared-computer-activation

2. If you are using the Intune device license, then basically you must have an adequate number of licenses available for the number of devices you have. Maybe you can create an Azure AD Group, add the devices to it and assign the Intune device license in to the group so you can keep a track of that.
If your user has the proper M365 license that has Intune in it, then no need to worry about the device license.

I think I answered that correctly.

If you think this answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Cheers!

@shehanjp first, thank you very much for your response

1. we already installed office/Microsoft 365 Apps on some Autodeploy / Selfdeploy windows 10 devices via our endpoint over the app type (Microsoft 365 Apps (Windows 10 and later)) and its working fine for us. I attached in my reply a .png, where you can see the app that we created and you can see the app suite config that we are using. We use this to deploy M365 Apps to both primary user devices and also autopilot devices. 

In our scenario users that are using the autodeploy shared devices that are not linked to a specific user all have also an O365-E3 license.

If I understand you correctly that is all fine, except that we have to use the XML Statement also on shared devices only? I dont understand why is that?

2. So its not that simple in our enviroment, I will try to explain it. We have a lot of sites in our company where different users work. And on almost every site we plan to have a shared Windows 10 Notebook that multiple users can use. We have a hybrid environment and every user has a Microsoft Azure Account. All of them have a Office-365-E3 license to use Mail, and most of the users on our sites have or will have an EMS-E3 license. But Im a bit confused, so your telling me that I dont have to hold a seperate intune only license for a shared Windows 10 selfdeploy Notebook, when all users that use this notebook have an EMS-E3 license or comparable, correct?

Thank you very much

@MichaelW 

1. What I meant there was you have to use Office 365 Apps as Shared Activation method.

What you saying is the users who are using those shared computers have a single account? (like a generic account? is it? I didn't understand this part all have also an O365-E3 license

2. If the user has EMS-E3 that covers the licensing requirement. To use the Intune benefits, User or Device licence is required. If you are have Intune device license type, then having the adequate number of license in the portal is acceptable. You don't need to specifically assign them. But if the user has EMS-E3 already, you are covered.

Hi shehanjp, sorry for the late response...

1. I will try to make it more clear (sometimes hard in a text), I meant that the final users, that are using those shared windows devices all have an Office 365-E3 license, therefor I thought that we will be fine about the licensing part, when we install the Microsoft 365 Apps on those shared devices. If i understand this office shared activation process correctly, we only would run into a problem, if a user would go over those 5 windows devices that he can use?

2. yeah that part is still a bit contradictory to me... I will use an example for it:
o I have a site at Berlin
o we have one shared windows 10 Notebook there, but no Intune License in our portal for it.
o now 3 employees with an EMS-E3 License use that device, so that would be fine like you said.
o A 4th employee wants to use the shared windows device now, but he has no EMS-E3 license. In that scenario at that point its not valid anymore right? so in that case at that exact point we have to have an extra intune license ready, correct?