SOLVED

Large Win32 Applications - Company portal deployment

Copper Contributor

Hi!

Trying to make some applications available through Company Portal. I have been finding applications over 500MB seem to stall / take large periods of time to download and then eventually fail. Does anyone have a best practice or idea how to get this working? The only work around is praying they exist on the Microsoft store for Education and making the application available through that.

Error Endpoint manager provides

*The unmonitored process is in progress, however it may timeout. (0x87D300C9)*

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We setup Endpoint manager from scratch roughly 3 months ago and have now got 200 Devices running through it!

Cheers

8 Replies
I believe Win32 will timeout after 1 hour so if your download takes longer it will fail. I've experienced the same problem with smaller apps and have not yet find a solution that will work 'always'.
best response confirmed by JossCurnuck (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I have several applications with 500-600 MB (Example, Dynamics Client). I reccomend to configure Delivery Optimization for sure. Have you tried this? It will allow you to peer the data.

Hi @alschneiter , Thanks for the reply.

I have just configured delivery optimization with the help of the link below.

https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/how-to-configure-delivery-optimization-with-intune/

I will have to keep an eye on it and see if it works! Thanks for your assistance. I will mark as best solution.

Regards

Joss

Hi @JossCurnuck 

Glad to hear. Let me know if you need further help.

Cheers, Al

blog.alschneiter.com
Twitter: @alschneiter

Hi @alschneiter 

Has failed again but its due to the 1 hour download timeout mentioned above. The error on Microsoft Endpoint Manager says 

The unmonitored process is in progress, however it may timeout. (0x87D300C9)

Do you have a Caching server in place? We have a 400mbps download connection so I am unsure why it would be timing out / downloading slow?

Thanks

Joss

Further update. I can see on Powershell that it downloads the application fully but then pauses. 14 minutes it took to download the whole package but then will pause for the remaining 45 or so minutes then timeout after an hour. Rather confused in why its not executing. I have also attached a screenshot of the policy on Endpoint Manager. Can anyone help?

Hi @JossCurnuck 

The limit is actually 8GB of any app. Have you ever tried to download the app trough another connection? 

Do you use a proxy with SSL inspection?

Also, can you have a look at this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/apps/troubleshoot-app-install

and 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/apps/troubleshoot-app-install#win32-app-installation-trouble...

Collecting the logs?

Any logs in the Intune Management Extention:

"%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Intune Management Extention\Logs\IntuneManagementExtention.log"

Cheers,

Al

Hi @alschneiter 

Thanks for the information provided. I have done some more digging and I have noticed the Sibelius installer running in Task Manager but nothing happens from there. Makes me believe my install cmd might be incorrect as it's not executing properly?

I have checked the Intune logs but nothing jumps out at me. I will take a look at the links provided and troubleshoot from there. 

We do have a proxy with SSL inspection. I thought we had white listed all the links already. I will check again!

Thanks again! Your help is appreciated

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JossCurnuck (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I have several applications with 500-600 MB (Example, Dynamics Client). I reccomend to configure Delivery Optimization for sure. Have you tried this? It will allow you to peer the data.

View solution in original post