Kiosk mode 1803 version, allow user to change wifi password

Copper Contributor

Hello, we need to allow users to be able to change the wifi password manually on our kiosks in case the update fails when updating the password key via policy.  any ideas on how to allow this?  Thanks

14 Replies

Would this question be better for the Windows forums than Intune forum?

Not at all.  I want to know if there is a profile policy or setting to allow WIFI settings to appear when you use Intune to put a device in KIOSK mode.

I figured this out.

Hi Daniel,

What was the solution for this issue. I have just come across the same situation.

Thanks

Since the machine is in KIosk mode for our customers.  I created a desktop shortcut to the WIFI settings.  Then I added a Keyboard cmd sequence in the shortcut all through powershell.  In the Kiosk profile, I allowed the settings menu to be accessed in Kiosk mode.  Then I used a CSP policy to only allow WIFI, About, and time/date settings only.  It was really a workaround to my solution.

Now if our employee  wants to change the wifi, they can hit a keyboard cmd to open up the wifi settings page, while our customers do not know anything about it.  This is the list of URL-settings for each setting menu to allow in kiosk mode.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/78214-settings-pages-list-uri-shortcuts-windows-10-a.html

Hope this helps

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try that later today.

MoZZa

@Daniel MoralesDid you allow the Settings using AUMID? 

@Daniel Morales 

Hi Daniel,

Could you explain further how you did this? I can't get just the WiFi settings to be available for example. So I even tried using this in the xml kiosk file

<App AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" />

But then it won't import the pkg , it just gives me an error. In our case, we are loaning some laptops to youth clients. I have used Kiosk multi-app mode to lock them down. But they of course need a means to join to their own wifi at home or wherever and kiosk mode blocks that. 

How is it you did this Kiosk mode profile to allow for those settings to be accessed? 

@jhsd2020I believe your scenario is a little different.  You can allow SETTINGS as a multi-app kiosk and use device restrictions policy to only allow WIFI.  To me this would be your best way.

@kirkt  Hello I just saw this post, I know it is old but hopefully you figured it out.  I did use AUMID

@Daniel Morales 

Hi,

Thank you for replying - I have to admit I was worried that the post being 2 years old would mean I wouldn't be able to find you! Your post has been the only one I have ever found that indicates there is a way to do this.

So this is exactly the problem I am running in to - I can't access Settings at all. I've been at this a week, trying all kinds of things to enable access. I placed that AppUserModeID entry in the allowed apps section of the Xml file but it still says the admin has blocked access when trying to access the shortcut I placed on the tile menu for WiFi settings. 

Could you share what you used in your xml file that enabled the Settings part to work? A copy of your xml file perhaps? This is the one last item stopping us from being able to loan these devices to clients for each run of our youth employment program.

This is what ours looks like right now. It produces the tiles and access to programs that we want, but not to WiFi, Microphone, Camera and Printer settings. Those all show up as "blank" tiles, and if you click them it says it is a blocked item. I hope it doesn't look to messed up in pasting it here...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<AssignedAccessConfiguration
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AssignedAccess/2017/config"
xmlns:v2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AssignedAccess/201810/config"
xmlns:v3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AssignedAccess/2020/config"
>
<Profiles>
<Profile Id="{7A00F2B8-E126-421E-9C7C-121E86061B32}">
<AllAppsList>
<AllowedApps>
<App AppUserModelId="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge" />
<App AppUserModelId="Microsoft.Windows.Explorer" />
<App AppUserModelId="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
<App AppUserModelId="Microsoft.MSPaint_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.MSPaint" />
<App AppUserModelId="Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
<App AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" />
<App DesktopAppPath="%windir%\system32\quickassist.exe" />
<App DesktopAppPath="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE" />
<App DesktopAppPath="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE" />
<App DesktopAppPath="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office15\POWERPNT.EXE" />
<App DesktopAppPath="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office15\mspub.exe" />
<App DesktopAppPath="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\acrord32.exe" />
<App DesktopAppPath="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" />
<App DesktopAppPath="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" />
<App DesktopAppPath="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" />
</AllowedApps>
</AllAppsList>
<v2:FileExplorerNamespaceRestrictions>
<v2:AllowedNamespace Name="Downloads"/>
<v3:AllowRemovableDrives/>
</v2:FileExplorerNamespaceRestrictions>
<StartLayout>
<![CDATA[<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
<LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
<DefaultLayoutOverride>
<StartLayoutCollection>
<defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">
<start:Group Name="">
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
</start:Group>
<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="6" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Word 2013.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Excel 2013.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="6" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\VLC media player.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Firefox.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\PowerPoint 2013.lnk" />
<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="4" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Publisher 2013.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="4" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acrobat Reader DC.lnk" />
<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="4" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
<start:SecondaryTile AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" TileID="SystemSettings_L2_SettingsPageNetworkWiFi" DisplayName="" Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="6" Arguments="page=SettingsPageNetworkWiFi" Square71x71LogoUri="ms-appx:///" Square150x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/Globe.png" Wide310x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/wide.Globe.png" Square310x310LogoUri="ms-appx:///" ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo="true" ShowNameOnWide310x150Logo="true" BackgroundColor="#00000000" ForegroundText="light" />
<start:SecondaryTile AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" TileID="SystemSettings_L2_SettingsPageDevicesPrinters" DisplayName="" Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" Arguments="page=SettingsPageDevicesPrinters" Square71x71LogoUri="ms-appx:///" Square150x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/Devices.png" Wide310x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/wide.Devices.png" Square310x310LogoUri="ms-appx:///" ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo="true" ShowNameOnWide310x150Logo="true" BackgroundColor="#00000000" ForegroundText="light" />
<start:SecondaryTile AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" TileID="SystemSettings_L2_SettingsPagePrivacyMicrophone" DisplayName="" Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" Arguments="page=SettingsPagePrivacyMicrophone" Square71x71LogoUri="ms-appx:///" Square150x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/Lock.png" Wide310x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/wide.Lock.png" Square310x310LogoUri="ms-appx:///" ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo="true" ShowNameOnWide310x150Logo="true" BackgroundColor="#00000000" ForegroundText="light" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Quick Assist.lnk" />
<start:SecondaryTile AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" TileID="SystemSettings_L2_SettingsPageDevices" DisplayName="" Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" Arguments="page=SettingsPageDevices" Square71x71LogoUri="ms-appx:///" Square150x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/Devices.png" Wide310x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/wide.Devices.png" Square310x310LogoUri="ms-appx:///" ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo="true" ShowNameOnWide310x150Logo="true" BackgroundColor="#00000000" ForegroundText="light" />
<start:SecondaryTile AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" TileID="SystemSettings_L2_SettingsPageAudio" DisplayName="" Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" Arguments="page=SettingsPageAudio" Square71x71LogoUri="ms-appx:///" Square150x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/System.png" Wide310x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/wide.System.png" Square310x310LogoUri="ms-appx:///" ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo="true" ShowNameOnWide310x150Logo="true" BackgroundColor="#00000000" ForegroundText="light" />
<start:SecondaryTile AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" TileID="SystemSettings_L2_SettingsPagePrivacyWebcam" DisplayName="" Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" Arguments="page=SettingsPagePrivacyWebcam" Square71x71LogoUri="ms-appx:///" Square150x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/Lock.png" Wide310x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/wide.Lock.png" Square310x310LogoUri="ms-appx:///" ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo="true" ShowNameOnWide310x150Logo="true" BackgroundColor="#00000000" ForegroundText="light" />
</defaultlayout:StartLayout>
</StartLayoutCollection>
</DefaultLayoutOverride>
</LayoutModificationTemplate>
]]>
</StartLayout>
<Taskbar ShowTaskbar="true"/>
</Profile>
</Profiles>
<Configs>
<Config>
<Account>Client</Account>
<DefaultProfile Id="{7A00F2B8-E126-421E-9C7C-121E86061B32}"/>
</Config>
</Configs>
</AssignedAccessConfiguration>

Very useful information.

@Daniel Morales 

Hi Daniel,

Can you make it a little clearer or provide step by step procedure.

How did you allow SETTINGS in a multi-app kiosk and how did you use device restrictions policy to only allow WIFI. If you use AUMID, may I see the xml file?