SOLVED

Is there a better way to upload a large Win32 app to MEM?

Brass Contributor

Hi,

It's painful to upload a Win32 app larger than 5GB to MEM now.

I have a total 300Mbps upload bandwidth, but the upload process always uses less than 5Mbps in average.

Even the worse, the process can't keep itself running in more than 1 hours.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for reading this post.

9 Replies

Okay, it failed again.

Lasted about 2 hours this time.

So sad.

Alber_0-1668414433408.png

Have you tried to upload the installation into Azure Storage Account, then call the installer using PowerShell.

Moe

https://www.thelazyadministrator.com/2020/01/26/deploy-intune-applications-with-powershell-and-azure...

@Moe_Kinani 

No, I never tried that way and I don't think it's better.

Because it seems lacking some featuers like installation detection, app update and replacement.

I prefer not to use script deployment in Intune, until there's no choice, since the mechanism is without guarantee.

best response confirmed by Alber (Brass Contributor)
i remembered i read somewhere that if have win32 app larger than 5gb, can request intune helpdesk to up the limit for the tenant.
It’s 8 gb now, you can request more if above 8. The issue is the upload timesout after one hour using the gui, so the file needs to upload before it timesout.

Moe

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/apps-win32-app-management

@Moe_Kinani 

The links you shared are very useful.

I just succeeded in uploading by checking the process every 20 mins in last 3hours.

Barely acceptable because it's a one-time work.

Thank you for information sharing anyway.

Please note: Upload is 1 thing... now the 60 minutes download time-out....
In my experience, after you upload a big app to MEM, you need to wait at least 1 day to let the CDN or cache or something to be optimized.
Then you should be good to go.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions