Intune Company portal on androids continue to give me an error

Copper Contributor

I have removed the user and reset him up in the company portal. I continue to get a message "your company needs you to adjust these settings to comply with organizational policies. Set a longer device password, A device password must be at least 4 characters long. I have changed it and have done a resolve and it still does not work. It is an Android  Samsung Galaxy S10e version 11 with the Knox version 3.7. Could you please help!

35 Replies
I am facing with your issue bro, can you share me your solutions if you have fixed it success.

Thank you.
Hi,

We have started seeing this issue with users too. I can only assume the latest version has introduced a bug. If you view the app reviews in the Google Play Store plenty of people are all having the same issue in the last week. We are using a variety of Samsung Galaxy models also with Knox.

I don't see where to find out if this is being addressed by Microsoft, never mind a time-line.

@Mel_2246 I am also getting error for the last couple days. The account password is 40 characters long. As far as I know there are no other accounts with short passwords.

Which account is it complaining about? It does not tell me.

I have an Samsung S21 Ultra.

Andy

@Andys100 I have gotten word back, this did not seem to help me but it may help you. If you are using the free MDM version that comes with E3 this will not work.

Go to Endpoint Manager and login with your administrator credentials. Go to Device > Compliance Policies and check your policies of type “Personally-owned work profiles” or “Android Compliance Policy” and edit to include one of five configurations as needed:

At least numeric (default): Enter the minimum password length a user must enter, between 4 and 16 characters.

Numeric complex: Enter the minimum password length a user must enter, between 4 and 16 characters.

At least alphabetic: Enter the minimum password length a user must enter, between 4 and 16 characters.

At least alphanumeric: Enter the minimum password length a user must enter, between 4 and 16 characters.

At least alphanumeric with symbols: Enter the minimum password length a user must enter, between 4 and 16 characters.

Once you save the updated policy, the next time a device checks in or a user initiates a check compliance on their device, users will receive the updated policy. At that time, the user may be asked to set their password and then will regain access to corporate resources.
@Mel_2246 

Thanks for the follow-up.

What is MDM and where would I find the Endpoint Manager?

Thanks,

Andy
MDM is your mobile device management which is your Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center. This is where you manage all of your devices.

I have a ticket with MS support for this same issue.

They state this stems from google changing its API from version 29 to version 30.   Version 30 APIs are reporting back different values to Microsoft than expected hence why the company portal app is showing the password does not meet the device requirements.

At this time there is no fix for those using Office 365 MDM and not an Intune license.   

Very frustrating at least.

So far that has only impacted our Galaxy S10 and S21 devices.

Thanks this is useful information. I had incorrectly assumed it was related to the latest version of the app which is only a week or so old.

It's disappointing the o365 MDM has no fix at present. I'm glad you've raised a ticket for the issue though.
Hi, have you any policy conditional access ?

@vinicarmo As far as I can see, Policy Conditional Access options are not available in the Office 365 MDM portal.  The policy is tied to a Active Directory security group.  Users of that security group have this policy enforced on their mobile devices when they attempt to connect.

There is an option for "If a device doesn't meet the requirements above, then ..." which mine is set to Block access.  I guess I could change this to Allow access, but that really isn't a great fix for this.

I hope that answers your question.

Hi, just wondering if there is a fix for this yet? Lots of reviews on play store for the company portal app, do we need to wait for that to be updated? Is there any update on the ticket logged with MS?

Thanks

Andy
Nothing yet, I have a case open with Microsoft but have not heard back. When I get a response back I will let you know.
Great thanks, they should spend time on this rather than the update to outlook for a bcc field!
Microsoft has alert MD293716 posted for this issue now.   
https://admin.microsoft.com/adminportal/home#/servicehealth/:/alerts/MD293716

I also have a ticket open with MS on this and am waiting back for their response.

Currently they have asked that I set a test policy requiring alphanumeric passwords (which they swear means Numeric OR letters).  Regardless I tried the test policy with my problem S10 and S21 users and this did not fix the problem.
I will provide an update when I get one from MS.
Here is the alert (so you dont have to logon)

MD293716, Mobile Device Management for Office 365, Last updated: October 27, 2021 10:20 AM
Start time: September 29, 2021 7:00 AM, End time: October 27, 2021 10:19 AM
Issue type
Advisory
Status
False positive
Manage notifications for this issue
User impact
Users' MDM-enrolled iOS and Android devices have become non-compliant and can't access corporate resources.
Are you experiencing this issue?
Is this post helpful?
All updates
October 27, 2021 10:20 AM
Title: Users' Basic Mobility and Security enrolled iOS and Android devices can't access corporate resources

User Impact: Users' MDM-enrolled iOS and Android devices have become non-compliant and can't access corporate resources.

More info: Impact is specific to password enabled iOS and Android 11+ devices. Users may see the following error message when checking compliance: "The device passcode must be 4 characters or longer."

This potentially impacts access to various services and resources, such as Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business, and SharePoint Online.

Final status: MC294075 has been published to the Message Center. Please review said communication for comprehensive steps to remediate impact. This communication will expire in 24 hours.
October 25, 2021 5:01 PM
Title: Users' Basic Mobility and Security enrolled iOS and Android devices can't access corporate resources

User impact: Users' MDM-enrolled iOS and Android devices have become non-compliant and can't access corporate resources.

More info: Impact is specific to password enabled iOS and Android 11+ devices. Users may see the following error message when checking compliance:

"The device passcode must be 4 characters or longer."

This potentially impacts access to various services and resources, such as Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business, and SharePoint Online.

While the comprehensive Message Center communication is being prepared, admins can resolve the issue by performing the following steps:

1. Login to https://protection.office.com/devicev2 with your admin credentials.

2. Review your device security policies to identify any that require the minimum password length access requirement and is assigned to users who may use Android 11 devices.

3. For each identified policy, enable the require an alphanumeric password access requirement. NOTE: once you move to set an alphanumeric password, it will apply the same policy on other managed platforms.

Current status: We've identified that a third party's recently updated password policy service is incompatible with specific policy configuration used by your organization. The Microsoft-managed environment isn't causing the problem, but we're composing steps to remediate impact which will be posted to the message center by our next scheduled update.

Scope of impact: Your organization is affected by this event, and some users' MDM-enrolled iOS devices and MDM-enrolled Android devices are impacted.

Start time: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 7:00 AM (2:00 PM UTC)

Root cause: A third party's recently updated password policy service is incompatible with specific policy configuration used by your organization, leading to impact.

Next update by: Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 6:00 PM (10/28/2021, 1:00 AM UTC)
Hi all,
I has resolved this issue, that occurred when I downloaded release Intune version on Google Play.
So, I try to download that version:
https://company-portal.en.uptodown.com/android/download/3941239

And, everything is good.

Wish all have this issue will resolve it success.
Cuong Tran.

Thank you. This worked. I had this issue with Samsung Galaxy S10+. I thought it was due to Samsung Knox. 

@CuongTran What is the source of this version you're recommending to download? I am uncomfortable downing loading an app without knowing it's source.

@Andys100 , I was received this version (5.0.5273.0) by IT Admin of my company. 
You can compare about version note: "5.0.5273.0" with latest on GG Play is "5.0.5291.0". Somethings was changed and issue happening with us. 
I only just get back to lower version, Surprise, It work!

Cuong Tran.