Intune: can't sync back a previously removed Managed Playstore app

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I would like to submit an issue we're having with Intune and a managed Play Store app. We published our inhouse developed app in our private Play Store with an apk-file. This all worked fine and the app was rolling out to Android phones correctly. Then we had to publish an older version of the app because the new one wasn't meant to be deployed just yet. I was unable to replcace the apk and got the error:

"Cannot update a published APK"

The Google Play Store is giving a little bit more info:

"Versioncode 20400 is already used. Try another versioncode. Your APK or Android App Bundle must have the packetname <ourpackage>"

It has to do have something todo with how the package is signed because literraly giving the file a different name doesn't solve the problem. There's no option to remove the app and package completely from de Play Console. I can only unpublish it. I tried removing it from Endpoint under Apps -> by Platform -> Apps in the hope that I then could remove it from the Play Store. Then I tried to add a new app the usual way: add -> Managed Google Play app -> Private apps. Here I selected the already present app (wich I removed from the Intune console) I pressed select and then Sync. Now the app doesn't sync back to Intune, wich is now our biggest problem. There isn't any error. Syncing appears to work fine:

"Managed Google Play sync in progress. Apps added in Managed Google Play will be created when the sync completes."

It's also not possible to publish a second app next to it because of the problem previously described (with the packagename en versioncodes) and there's now way to get the app back in Intune with the Sync option. So now we are unable to roll out this app.

Sorry for this lengty post. Here's a TLDR;

1. We cannot sync a Managed Play Store app already present in the Store. We open the app under Private apps -> Select -> Sync. The sync process starts but the app is not present in the app list.

2. We cannot remove the existing app completely from the Playstore, replace it with a new version or publish a second one next to it.

I'm thinking of just starting all over by creating a new Playstore and building it from the ground up. Does anyone has any ideas on what I could try before I start over? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

3 Replies
I've been experiencing the same issue for the last 6ish weeks. Unfortunately, I haven't received much help from Microsoft Support. They've had an open support ticket for over a month and I am still waiting for a solution.

Were you able to get a resolution for your issue?

Thanks!
James
Hi Everybody

I just had the same problem, but I managed to fix it.
1. First go to: https://play.google.com/work. Under the admin settings get your organization ID.
2. next go to your intune portal, and select add a new managed google play app.
3. paste your organisation ID in the search google play box.
4. You'll find your app, just approve it again and press sync. wait a while and it'll pop-up again between your managed app in your intune portal.

@SmetsDavy Thank you for your reply, it works like a charm :)