Intune Android app - Location permission

Brass Contributor

Today all of our users received a popup from the Intune app on their Android devices about Location permissions being enabled by admin, is this expected behaviour and if so is this documented? 

Screenshot_20220909-110833_Permission controller.jpg

28 Replies

I assume you're pushing out a WiFi profile? Android Enterprise then requests the "Location" permission as the information exposed by this API could be used to determine an approximate location for the device.

Please note that the "Use precise location" item is left unchecked, meaning a GPS-location is not part of the request.

We are pushing WiFi profiles and I am aware of the location permission settings in de Device Policy app, but today there was a popup notification from the Intune app. I assume this is related with the update of the Intune app, but due to privacy concerns I would need an "official" statement.

@Bjorn Claes we have got the same issue.

A lot of android users are receiving this notification.

All started some days ago (no changes made on our Intune configuration).

Please let me know

Mauro

I've opened a ticket with Microsoft, but they are still investigating the issue. I think it's related to an update of the Device Policy app on September 7th or the Microsoft Intune app on September 6th.
Did you recieve an update from Microsoft? We are facing the same issue.

The answer I've received from Microsoft: This message appears now on the Android Enterprise corporate owned devices because location services was enabled for this type of enrollment. This is being mentioned in the following documentation: In development - Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs

This message appears now on the Android Enterprise corporate owned devices because location services was enabled for this type of enrollment. This is being mentioned in the following documentation: In development - Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs
BjornClaes_0-1663149223399.jpeg

This means, the notification is indicating that the location access permission is granted to the Microsoft Intune App.
But be aware, location data is not being sent to Intune and no location data is being collected. Location information will be collected/sent only if the Intune Admin is using the locate device action.

This means, the notification is indicating that the location access permission is granted to the Microsoft Intune App. But be aware, location data is not being sent to Intune and no location data is being collected. Location information will be collected/sent only if the Intune Admin is using the locate device action.

@Bjorn Claes 

How can we stop the notification appearing then to users? If this is a new feature that is not out yet then i think the users shouldnt have changes pushed to them until these issues are ironed out.

Our users currently are receiving 10+ notifications a day. Some users work on call so need their devices left on all night with sound, so they are receiving notifications through the night while they are trying to sleep.

Is there anything we can do to supress these notifications from Android? I would like to keep the location services enabled but disable the notifications as the users find it very annoying.

Further, i know these issues arent yours to resolve, but im hoping you have the same questions and can ask the same. I am going to be raising this with MS also myself to try and get an answer.
Our users got the same notification. Looks like Microsoft is prepping the 'locate device' feature for Android full managed devices. Typical Microsoft roll-out - testing is not their top priority.
I've asked the same questions and I'm also not sure if this is GDPR compliant?
OK for this feature but the smartphones are annoying all users with this notification.
Is there a way to avoid this popup?
Thank you very much
The only option we found is to disable the Intune App notification on the handset - not ideal when you have 100s of phones. I cant see any option from intune admin portal to disable it
Hi,
I think it is not a good idea.
I suppose Intune app could need to notify something in the future.

Other apps are allowed for localization access and they aren't notifying it all the time.
Microsoft is aware of the issue with the recurring notifications, but they are still investigating this issue.
Thats good to know - hopefully a quick fix before the app gets updated to the rest of the phones.
Thanks, please let us know if you recieve more information. Users keep calling with the question if we are tracking them.

@Bjorn Claes 

Did you create a ticket or can we track that info somewhere? My colleagues have the same issue.

@Wietsedr I have opened a ticket with Microsoft, but they are still investigating the notification issue.

Thanks, i also created a ticket. Please let us know once you have a solution.

Greetings