How to deal with Application version in intune and company portal?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

How to deal with application versions in intune which end users can deploy via Company portal?

For example when a new version is available for ApplicationX, we need to add this new version to the company portal so they can install it.

What i thougt was: Create a new intunewin package for the new version and add it to intune so user can install it from the company portal. but if users allready have the old version installed and they install the new version(company portal says succesfull), the old version is still installed and not the new version.

15 Replies

@Arjanver How are your detection rules designed? When they match, Intune will think the application is already installed. Depending on what app you're installing, you can pick a variety of detection methods : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/apps-win32-app-management#step-4-detection-rules 

Please have a look into step by step configuration for MDM and Intune Policies deployment

@Saurabh0711  Hi, Thanks, but i don't see how this video is about my problem. what i'm missing here?

I'm not a pro.....sorry about that.
But i thought detection rules are used when the application is installed from the company portal it then checks if the path/file/registry key is present and then if gives the successful install status.

So this applicationX version 1 has a detection rule configured with a File rule.

So the applicationX version 2 i could use the File rule with the String(version) method and Operator(Equal?) and the value the version of the new or old application version?

I'm trying to understand the process. does the new version needs to detect the old version and then installs the new version? or does i just need to detect the new version of the application?

Thanks all
Sadly, that’s the case here. Take a look at this user voice: https://microsoftintune.uservoice.com/forums/291681-ideas/suggestions/38707012-automatically-update-...

That describes your problem right ? You should figure out a way to let de app detect a version number of your app. If it’s not detected, your app will install/update.

Thanks, nice to see i'm not alone with this one;)

But i have this detection rule for the new win32 package and it seems to work.
every month comes a new version.......i have something to do then....

I can recycle this app instance in intune and upload the new intunewin file and change the version match the new version or do i need to make a complete new application instance in intune and delete the old one?

Arjanver_0-1591770402801.png

@Arjanver  Application version and deployment is covered in the same

When you are deploying any application in properties of the app for any store you need to publish along with the version.

@Arjanver When you deploy a new app, the users has to go into the CP and install the new app. 

To be honest, I'm not sure what happens when you just replace the intunewin file, and adjust the detection method to the new version. I assume that the app will try to update/install, but I'm not sure.

@Arjanver Maybe using a requirement rule can help you with this as a temporary solution till something better is available in Intune. I described it in this article https://www.inthecloud247.com/how-to-update-win32-applications-with-microsoft-intune/

@Arjanver please ignore my previous answer. I've tested this and it does not work like I stated earlier. The solution that @Peter Klapwijk suggests is the best for now. 

Hi Peter,

I've post some questions to you're blog post.
Hi All,
I Need your help,
I Need to replace the teamviewer host version with a Full version in few laptops so I created a app with the detection rule as folder , it says successfully installed but it didn't
Remember, the detection rule is set by you. The reason why it's saying successful, even though it wasn't, is because you have set this up incorrectly. Detection rules don't actually tell you if you successfully installed an app. It tells you if what you're looking for is actually true.

Your detection rule is most likely looking for a folder that already exists.
You'll need to figure out what file/folder exists in the Full version, but not in the host version. Setting that file/folder to be detected, will give you the correct result for whether the app successfully installed or not.