Federate the domain or not

Copper Contributor

We have a simple setup. Users are assigned to groups that get Apple VPP apps installed on the iPads assigned to them. They are only using the company portal app to login and setup the device for the first time then access the device via passcode.

I now have a group of users that want to use Shared iPads which will require me to federate the MDM domain.

Once I federate the domain, can the users who are using the user assigned iPads continue to do so or will they have to be converted to logging into the devices with AppleID's created by federating the domain?

I'm looking for more of a 'yes' or 'no' type answer.  In other words, can the two types of login coexist?

2 Replies
If you have users that already use a Apple ID which is part of the domain that you are going to federate... Then those users will receive an email with information that they will have to change their Apple ID to something else. If they don't do that it will be changed automatically to a temporary address (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209349)

They can continue using their devices, but will have to change their login.
Was this enough information for you?