SOLVED

exclude non Wi-Fi enabled devices for Wi-Fi Configuration Profile

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone

We have a WiFi Configuration Profile in Intune that applies to all company users. Problem is now that the profile tries to apply these WiFi Settings to devices which don't have WiFi capability and Intune throws errors back on these devices. My idea is now to create a group or a script, which checks the device for the presence of a WiFi MAC. When the device has a WiFi MAC, the profile gets applied.

Has anyone an idea about how I can achieve this? Or what are your solutions for this scenario? Thanks for every reply :)

5 Replies
best response confirmed by preuley30 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
You could create Dynamic Groups in Azure containing certain hardware models. If you have HP, for example, you could create a group containing HP ProBook and Elitebook for Wi-Fi profiles. Rule syntax would be something like "(device.deviceModel -eq “HP ProBook”) "
Use a dynamic group or device filter to control the assignments. Everything else will be an needless in my opinion.

Did this answer your question? 

Hi Harm_Veenstra. Thanks for your reply. I did it with a dynamic group like you mentioned. Since we're having more Devices that are Wi-Fi capable than Devices which are not, I've created a dynamic group with these Device Models that aren't Wi-Fi capable and put them in excluded groups.

However, I hoped that I could automate it in a deeper way. Now I must edit this dynamic group every time we get a new device which doesn't have Wi-Fi capability.
With group policy wou we're able to use a WMI filter, that way you could determine battery or not which is like laptop or not. But now you even have normal computers using Wi-Fi... It's not easy :pensive_face:
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by preuley30 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
You could create Dynamic Groups in Azure containing certain hardware models. If you have HP, for example, you could create a group containing HP ProBook and Elitebook for Wi-Fi profiles. Rule syntax would be something like "(device.deviceModel -eq “HP ProBook”) "

View solution in original post