SOLVED

Display work contact caller-id in personal profile (Android & iOS)

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

i'm facing the following problem:

We're on our way implementing Intune.

1. Android Devices using work profile

Inside the work profile i've set up the Outlook App. All my Exchange contacts are inside the outlook app.

When i receive a call from a contact which is present in the outlook app contacts it isn't shown in the local phone app. (I just can see the number, not corresponding name)

When i add a contact in the "contacts" app inside the work profile and receive a call from this person, everything is fine.

What would be a proper solution for this? Of course the user should'nt create all the contacts in the contacts app (inside work profile).

There is "sync" button inside this app, but it isn't working as expected. ("no accounts can be added")

Edit 02:50pm:

I slowly move towards my goal:

- In my Android App Protection Policy i set the switch "Sync app with native contacts app" to Enable.

This causes, that the contacts are synchronized to my Android Contacts App just inside the Work profile and NOT to the local contacts app (outside work profile). Sounds great.

BUT: Only contacts i created manually in my own exchange contacts are synced to the work profile contacts app. The whole contacts of my Exchange GAL / OAB are not synced, and therefore i cannot see the caller-id from a contact which i didn't created in my own exchange contacts. 

2. iOS Device

The same problem, when using an iOS device. The Mails (and contacts) are inside the outlook app.

When a call is received, it is not possible to show the callers name.

Is the only way out to use the native ios apps with active sync? :\

The desired goal should be that the local phone app can see the contacts, when a call is received or is made. AND even more important: 3rd-party apps like whatsapp shouldn't see the business contacts.

It would be great if you have any ideas.

11 Replies

You won't be able to leverage the information from the GAL for caller-ID, you can only sync contacts from the Exchange account to the native contacts app on each platform (Outlook Settings > Account > Sync contacts). On Android, they are stored within the contacts app in the work profile, on iOS they are stored in the default contacts account on the device and technically become unmanaged. Here is some more information about managing contacts on iOS: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Intune-Customer-Success/Support-Tip-Use-Intune-custom-profile...

Thank you for your reply and for providing the link. I will work through it later this day.
The "problem" is: Most of our exchange users don't have their own outlook contacts, because everything they need (colleagues) is in the GAL.
I think there isn't a perfect solution for this issue.
best response
Solution

Unfortunately, there's no solid workaround for this, besides creating contacts from the GAL entries to the individual Exchange account. There are a few UserVoice items requesting deeper GAL integration for Outlook on mobile; I'm also a supporter of this. Best of luck!

Thank you eglockling. I expected that answer. (But i didn't want to admit it. :D )
Can you tell me where i can post a "+1" for this?

Just a short response, because of a new Techcommunity Account. :) [Ignore me]

I agree that this has become a blocking issue for many to adopt Android for Work profiles versus the old traditional device management approach.

I think the eventual solution to this will have to come from both Google and Microsoft (Android + Outlook + Intune).

The Outlook team seems largely unaware of this limitation since not people use this configuration.

And Intune doesn't really have any good documentation on how to setup the policies to at least allow Outlook to sync contacts back tot he personal profile.

Hi everyone,

We've created a simple tool Numbro that could solve your contact sync problem. We synchronize company contacts and all their changes in real-time directly to everyone's phone. The administrator can also define who can have a contact to whom.

You check our website at www.numbro.com

Hope it helps,

Jakub

I@jakubhoffmann Interesting solution.  I can see where that would be very useful.

However I'd also say it shows a large shortcoming in Microsoft "unified" communications solution if we need to buy 3rd-party contact managers!

I did find a solution for this on Android as well.  This was required for Samsung phones that have Android for Work profiles to allow callerID to pick up work contacts.

AndroidContacts.png

@Adrian Hyde Thank you for your answer. For me this could just be a workaround but not a real solution. The real cool thing about work profile is exactly that the work data isn't leaving the work area.

@PatrickF11I absolutely agree that by changing this setting you've effectively reduced the value proposition that the work profile brings - certainly from a security perspective.

I tried the other settings but they did not work to solve this particular issue.  I only tried on Samsung phones - it is possible other phone manufacturers are using a different contacts app (with more capabilities) and may have better results.

But at least for us, this one small usability flaw basically means our end-users would revolt from switching out their Apple devices to Android devices.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Unfortunately, there's no solid workaround for this, besides creating contacts from the GAL entries to the individual Exchange account. There are a few UserVoice items requesting deeper GAL integration for Outlook on mobile; I'm also a supporter of this. Best of luck!

View solution in original post