SOLVED

Deploying Office templates using Microsoft Intune

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Hoping someone can help with the issue I am currently having.

I'm using Intune to install Word and Powerpoint templates automatically so that they are already there when a user logs into the application, and no one has to add them to custom templates. The templates are saved in the correct format and have been synced down from a Sharepoint library into the end users file explorer, and Intune confirms that the deployment has succeeded on all devices.

The issue that I'm having is that sometimes I will open Powerpoint/Word, press New and the templates will be there under custom or shared depending on the application. If I then close the application and reopen it there are no templates to be found, and it shows Personal instead of Custom in Powerpoint.

I am using a Device Configuration Policy admin template to change the path of the templates to where they are located.

Anyone have any idea where this might be going wrong, or why the templates show or disappear at different times?

Thanks

3 Replies
best response confirmed by hjt_2020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi.

Let me read your question... but first... just wondering but why didn't you used this method ?
https://call4cloud.nl/2022/03/office-templates-the-rise-of-gru/

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

for me this solution does not work, because it syncs. but i dont want it to sync, i want to add a link to the personal OneDrive of each User....

and the ps-script is not working for me. it has some bugs... 

1st the way the upn is determined does not work for me because the registry key does not exist - changed it to  [mailaddress]$userUpn = cmd /c "whoami/upn"

It seems like you're facing a challenge with consistent template availability in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint after deploying templates using Intune. The issue you described could be due to a few different factors. Let's explore some potential causes and solutions:

1. Template Syncing and Availability:

• Templates might not be syncing reliably from the SharePoint library to the end users' devices. Check if there are any synchronization issues or delays in the SharePoint library that could affect the availability of templates.
    • Ensure that the templates have been fully downloaded and synchronized to the local file system of the devices. Inconsistent syncing could result in templates disappearing after a short time.
  2. Device Configuration Policy:

• Review the Device Configuration Policy that you're using to change the path of the templates. Ensure that the policy is being applied correctly to all devices and that the template path is accurately configured.
    • Verify that the policy settings are not conflicting with other settings or policies that might affect template availability.
  3. Microsoft Office Application Behavior:

• Microsoft Office applications like Word and PowerPoint might cache template information. This could explain why templates initially appear and then disappear upon reopening the applications.
    • Try clearing the Office application's cache to see if it resolves the issue. You can find cache clearing options in the Office application's settings.
  4. User Permissions and Settings:

• Ensure that users have the necessary permissions to access the template files on the local file system. Incorrect permissions could prevent the templates from being displayed.
    • Check if there are any user-specific settings or preferences that could be affecting template visibility. User-specific settings might need to be configured consistently across devices.
  5. Network and Connectivity:

• Templates might not load if there are intermittent network connectivity issues between the devices and SharePoint. Ensure that devices have a stable and reliable network connection.
  6. Office Add-ins and Customizations:

• If there are any third-party Office add-ins or customizations in use, they could potentially impact template availability. Try disabling any add-ins temporarily to see if they are causing the issue.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by hjt_2020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi.

Let me read your question... but first... just wondering but why didn't you used this method ?
https://call4cloud.nl/2022/03/office-templates-the-rise-of-gru/

View solution in original post