Denying problematic updates

Iron Contributor

Hi everyone,

My computer is co managed with SCCM and it gets updates from an Intune update ring.

Yesterday the computer had a BSOD because of update 5000808 which is caused when attempting to print to certain drivers.

The thing is, I didn't receive any fixes that were published as out of band updates.

My question is: I know I can't control windows updates the same way I control them in WSUS. But I understand that pausing the ring might help. So, if my ring is set to run after 3 of patch Tuesday weeks and I want to pause it, how long do I need to pause it?

Rahamim.

4 Replies
Hi,

Just another idea....
Maybe instead of pausing the update ring... maybe trying to exclude/hide the update itself with a PowerShell script?

Install-Module -Name PSWindowsUpdate -force -confirm:$False
Hide-WindowsUpdate -KBArticleID "kb" -Confirm:$false
Thanks for the idea, did you test this? Another problem I have is, I need to distribute the module to all computers. I would rather avoid that.
Hi, I did not test it lately. But it works when you want to hide an update.
What are the main reasons you don't want this module to be pushed to your endpoints?
If you don't blocked powershell, It could be a reason of course...
Take a look for some ideas, how to prevent the use of powershell

https://call4cloud.nl/2021/04/powershell-the-killer-queen/
My approach is to control it from the source rather than the destination. For example, In WSUS \ SCCM you can deny an update from being deployed. You don't need to run a script on each computer to stop the deployment. I want to do the same thing in this case since this is not just my computer but all enrolled devices. In this case, only I was affected from this bug but as an IT admin I want to make sure I can verify the update and not accidentally deploy problematic updates to end users.