Custom profile: hide known file extensions

Steel Contributor

Hi,

i would like to configure our WIndows 10 clients so that they show all the file extensions.

There is a GPO to configure this but i would like to configure this through MS Intune.

Do you have any advice on how to achive this?

(I already know how to use custom admx policies, how to ingest them, but i don't know how to configure this.)

Is there a way to do this via OMA-URI or any other possibilities to set a registry value? (I don't like the powershell via intune way)

Thank you in advance. :)

Kind regards

Patrick

3 Replies

Hi @PatrickF11, Intune is able to deploy custom Windows 10 profiles by leveraging OMA-URI settings.
A complete list of available configuration service providers (CSPs) that Windows 10 supports in the Configuration service provider reference can be found here.

In reviewing the available configurations, there are a couple of options available for FileExplorer policies, which currently, does not have the file type attribute available at this time.

I'm sure you know that we're always working to improve the end-to-end experience, feel free to suggest an idea over at our Intune UserVoice so that other customers can vote on this!

Hope this helps!
Intune Support Team
^MS

Is there any update on this?

@Mykey You can do this via a simple Powershell Script or a Remediation Task via Intune.

Something like this:

try
     {
         Set-ItemProperty -Path HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced -Name HideFileExt -Value 0 -ErrorAction Stop
     }
     catch
     {
         Write-Error -Message "Could not write regsitry value" -Category OperationStopped
         $exitCode = 1
     }