ConfigDeviceHealthMonitoringServiceInstance - Error 404 - The system cannot find the file specified.

Brass Contributor

I have a machine (perhaps many, though I haven't searched widely yet) that is throwing the following error in the Microsoft-Windows-DeviceManagement-Enterprise-Diagnostics-Provider/Admin log every time it syncs and reapplies settings from Intune.

MDM ConfigurationManager: Command failure status. Configuration Source ID: (908E6CB3-91A8-4F26-9383-F7B8C284976F), Enrollment Name: (MDMDeviceWithAAD), Provider Name: (Policy), Command Type: (Add: from Replace or Add), CSP URI: (./Vendor/MSFT/Policy/Config/DeviceHealthMonitoring/ConfigDeviceHealthMonitoringServiceInstance), Result: (The system cannot find the file specified.).

I don't believe I have any configurations setting this value -- in fact, i don't even think this is a setting that can be set intentionally via Intune.  I don't know what it does if you do manage to set it.  I've dug around in the registry and I've found the Configuration referenced by the Source ID and it appears as follows --

PhilipKluss_0-1633982712474.png

There is no ConfigDeviceHealthMonitoringServiceInstance specified at all.  The merged view under the current key shows no alternative source for the setting either.

PhilipKluss_1-1633982798060.png

What else can I even look at to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks.

Phil

12 Replies
Hi, Which windows version/build are you using. What kind of error is intune giving you when you look at the device health monitoring policy? Most of the times it's licensing or the windows version/build

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP, thanks for responding.

Windows 10, Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237)

The device passes all pertinent device compliance policies and the only "Windows health monitoring" profile we deploy reports that a "Deployment Status" of Succeeded.

HI,

If I might ask, what kind of licenses did you setup? and are those device pro or enterprise? As I have seen this happening a lot when the device needs to be enterprise.. But looking at the other settings like AllowDeviceHealthMonitoring = 1 and ConfigDeviceHealthMonitoringScope... they are pushed like they should
Hi,

I guess i didnt read the question that good :) . When looking at the device health monitoring CSP.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-devicehealthmonitoring

The ConfigDeviceHealthMonitoringServiceInstance is not in it... so When it's not in the csp, you will get that warning indeed. If you are not expecting issues.. i guess you could just ignore it

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

ConfigDeviceHealthMonitoringServiceInstance is now officially part of the device heath monitoring CSP and I have a couple of devices that are showing this same error. They are all on either Windows 10 22H2 or Windows 11 22H2 and have the August CU (they had the July CU and were experiencing the same issue last month). Any ideas on how I can get ConfigDeviceHealthMonitoringServiceInstance onto these devices so I can get EPM to install on them? 

@BrandoCO7373 

Yep, i know... But yeah this post is indeed 2 years old :)

I also noticed you posted a reply on on blog.

I assume you configured the EPM policy like this right?

Rudy_Ooms_MVP_0-1691821269746.png

Any other update reporting policies configured?

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

I have it configured slightly differently, requiring user confirmation.

EPM is working fine on the majority of my devices, there are just a handful receiving this error that also don't even have the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\DeviceHealthMonitoring\ConfigDeviceHealthMonitoringServiceInstance reg key.

There is also this error in the registry:
DeviceHealthMonitoringServiceInstance.png

Mmm... thats kinda weird... let me see what I can find. what happens when doing something probably stupid (aka not supported :) ) and exporting and importing that Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\DeviceHealthMonitoring key from a working device to a non working device?

@BrandoCO7373 

hehe yeah i know… that remediation was created of one of my blogs about how to trigger the epm install and bypassing the dh  stuff :)… but still that doesnt explain why that node csp was missing in the devices (prereq for the linkedenrollment csp)

https://call4cloud.nl/2023/05/the-lord-of-the-epm-the-war-of-the-mmp-c-enrollment/

but giving a bandage while i want to know the cause .. :) 

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP

No it does not explain why it was missing. I don't know how I missed that blog post in my research, but I really appreciate your help! Thank you very much!