SOLVED

Can't enroll devices anymore with my administrator account

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone,

For some time me and my colleagues enrolled new devices with our own administrator account into Azure Active directory/Intune. Since about 2 weeks this doesn't work anymore. The devices will enroll themselves in Azure Active directory but the MDM is set to "none". As soon as we log in with a normal user account this will change the MDM to "Intune". 

I enrolled about 8 devices this way (limit is 20 per user in our tenant) so for some reason it won't add Intune as our MDM solution when we log in with our administrator account.

Does anybody have an idea why this doesn't work anymore, very curious.

Thanks in advance,

Zenna

7 Replies

@ZennaVB What's your setting here? Perhaps all or a group of which your Admin user is not a member? Does your Admin account have an Intune license?

Harm_Veenstra_0-1675176982222.png

Hello @Harm_Veenstra ,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked our settings and our MAM user scope is set to "Some" instead of "All".

However I don't think anything changed in here, since we always did it this way before. 

Do you know if this could be the reason why our admin accounts can't enroll devices anymore?

And yes, our admin accounts do have a Microsoft for Business license with the Intune rolls activated.

And your Admin account is a member of the group assigned in the "Some" part? And you have the Business License with the Intune license selected? (And do you mean license or rolls as in Intune Administrator)
Yes it is part of the "some" group. And yes I mean license rolls, we have Microsoft Intune turned on. Sadly still no luck, can't figure out why it is not working anymore since it did before.
best response confirmed by ZennaVB (Copper Contributor)
Solution
JUst to clarify some stuff:

-New devices enrolled --> as in enrolled from the OOBE or when a local admin user was already logged in and added a work or school account and selecting join aad
-own administrator account --> as in a global admin account in aad or what I mentioned in the first question. If using another account to enroll the device..... why? why not using the regular user his account to do so as you need to switch the primary user afterwards to make sure you arent getting any compliance issues
-Just like harm mentioned, there must be something wrong with the mdm scope (try setting it to all for only that enrollment... you can change if afterwards if that wasn't the issue) and make sure you run the troubleshooting tool in intune and select that admin user to determine if there arent any license issues going on (even when he has a license assigned)
-Could you share a dsregcmd /status after you joined the device to aad with the administrator account
-
Hello Rudy,

Sorry for my late reply, you are right. It does not make a lot of sense to enroll the device with an admin account if the primary user needs to be changed afterwards. It's more like it's annoying for me, and trying to find out why it was working before and now it doesn't. So from now on we will enroll the device from the account that will actually use the device.

Thanks for helping and thinking with me, but from now on we will just enroll from the user that owns the device.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ZennaVB (Copper Contributor)
Solution
JUst to clarify some stuff:

-New devices enrolled --> as in enrolled from the OOBE or when a local admin user was already logged in and added a work or school account and selecting join aad
-own administrator account --> as in a global admin account in aad or what I mentioned in the first question. If using another account to enroll the device..... why? why not using the regular user his account to do so as you need to switch the primary user afterwards to make sure you arent getting any compliance issues
-Just like harm mentioned, there must be something wrong with the mdm scope (try setting it to all for only that enrollment... you can change if afterwards if that wasn't the issue) and make sure you run the troubleshooting tool in intune and select that admin user to determine if there arent any license issues going on (even when he has a license assigned)
-Could you share a dsregcmd /status after you joined the device to aad with the administrator account
-

View solution in original post