Can Intune be used to replace SCCM?

Copper Contributor

We are looking at deploying Intune to manage all endpoints mostly windows 10 laptops, Desktops and some surface pros.

1. Our goal is to enforce AD policies( like we have on On-prem AD)

2. Push windows updates

3. Patch management/updates ( windows and 3rd party applications like Java, Adobe, AntiVirus (not defender) VPN clients etc)

4. Configure and Install new software.

Are all of these possible with 

4 Replies

We are looking to do that same but Intune is kind of lacking the reporting part (not as good as SCCM) unless you are using any 3rd party app for reporting stuff. Also, there are certain policy options that you would be able to set on On-Prem side but not Intune unless you can replace such policies with powershell scripts or command line which you can convert to win32 app and deploy via Intune. Windows Updates works fine but again we see a lot of false positive machines for OS versions when we export reports.

Looking at what your requirements are... they sound like Intune to me :) ...

*Configure WU4B, configure device configuration policies etc, create win32 apps or convert apps or powershell scripts... You could do almost anything you want..

THe reporting site is some how a little bit bad sometimes,, but with log analytics in place... ?

https://call4cloud.nl/2021/09/godfather-of-logging/

Or combine them with pro active remediations... as they could be used for monitoring/reporting... like I did for laps

https://call4cloud.nl/2021/05/the-laps-reloaded/
Hi @STO365user,

As Rudy already mention based on your requirements it is possible, but what is your goal that you want to achieve?

Because if you want to switch to manage devices outside the “office walls” you can also use options like sccm cloud management gateway.

Keep in mind that Intune works different then sccm and not all the options of sccm are available in Intune.

I hope Rudy and 1 answers your questions.

Kind regards,

René

Hello, @STO365user !

Please keep in mind that Co-Management is included in your SCCM CAL. Co-Management licensing 

I recommend that Co-Management is your first step towards Intune and when Co-Management is implemented you will be able to switch workloads towards Intune based on your need. 
Co-Management workloads 

comgmt.png

best regards

Nicklas Ahlberg