Better understanding of licensing\deployment

Copper Contributor

Hello, I recently started working at college and one of the things on the table was a plan to leverage intune\endpoint manager in our enviroment. In the traditional usage of Endpoint Manager, where one person uses a laptop that enrolls with thier account which has the required license, everything makes sense. But I'm a bit confused on how a large deployment for people who don't follow this pattern, like lab computers where students come and go or some staff machines that no one dedicate person uses.

Based on licensing, we have approx 2.7k M365 A3 between our staff and students, so we have more licenses than computers by a large margin. The question mostly comes from how I go about loading devices into Endpoint Manager that are shared. The folks using laptops can rely on group policy and logging in but I don't want our desktops (All staff/faculty have laptops except for a few folks who use shared devices) to be directly "assigned" to a student or faculty member for example. I know of the DEM account but I'm a bit confused in how the licensing behind that works, how we can use it outside of autopilot to enroll and any other possible limits I may be missing (Such as licensing, do we need special licenses for DEM enroll devices?)

Or, am I overthinking this and I should use Endpoint Manager as a mobile/laptop device management system instead but I did want to explore using device compliance values for CA to possibly prevent access to resources as well.

1 Reply

Hi abrkich,

You have two options for your situation-

1. Create DEM account and assign it Intune license, then you can enroll upto 1000 devices.

2. You can use Intune Device based license, but each user who is using Intune (Apps, Profiles, Policies, etc) needs a license.

CA does not support Intune Device Licensed.

Hope this helps!

Moe

Link might help:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/enrollment/enrollment-method-capab

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-AU/troubleshoot/mem/intune/device-licenses-introduction