Autopilot Self-Deploying mode - who uses the device?

Brass Contributor

hi folks, 

we are testing to deploy new computers with Windows Autopilot in Self-Deploying mode which works quite fine. However if I take a look at those devices in Endpoint Manager, I have not found any way to see which user is using or has been using the device. 

I have already found out that by design no primary user is assigned to the device in this deployment scenario. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/remote-actions/find-primary-user#who-is-assigned-as-the-...

But there has to be a way to see which user is using the device? The other way around, if a user is logging into the machine, it also does not show up under the user's devices as well. 

Thanks a lot 

4 Replies

@burningice Why are you using Self-deploying mode? If you are not using it for kiosk/shared machines, you should use user-driven mode instead. 

Self-deploying mode does not presently associate a user with the device (since no user ID or password is specified as part of the process).

Happy to look for a solution on this. 

@JanBakkerOrphaned my primary motivation is to be easily able to deploy multiple machines without any user interaction (no keyboard or language selection etc.) prior to the final user login.

If I get a new batch of computers, we can easily prepare them without knowing who is gonna use them. Am I missing out on some similar user-driven functionality here? 

@burningice 
"Am I missing out on some similar user-driven functionality here? "

Yes, you are missing the Windows Autopilot for pre-provisioned deployment (ex White Glove)