SOLVED

App assignment - removing a required app

Brass Contributor

Dear community,

I am cleaning up our Intune Apps for Windows - just for confirmation: when I remove the "Required" assignment, it does not take any action on the client, correct? I don't want to break anything and the inventory is very mixed, sometimes an MSI, sometimes a very old and somehow packaged EXE.

Thank you and kind regards,

Eileen

5 Replies
best response confirmed by cHaZzY (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

True normally removing the assignment doesnt trigger an uninstallation, To uninstall you need to assign a group to the uninstall setting

And to quote Microsoft

"Removing a group assignment does not remove the related app. The installed app will remain on the device."

Include and exclude app assignments in Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs

@cHaZzYIf you unassign the app, it will remain on any current machines, you're basically just stopping any deployments.  It's only if you populate the uninstall group that it will remove the software

If you need to get the source files for old apps, have a look at this:

How to decode Intune Win32 App Packages – Modern IT – Cloud – Workplace (oliverkieselbach.com)

Thank you very much for the quick confirmation @andrewstaylor and @Rudy_Ooms_MVP - I am now sure not to break anything!
I only find the right documentation, at the moment I don't need it, kind of a gift :) 

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

I am deploying Microsoft 365 apps to macOS using intune.  I need to uninstall it, but there is no uninstall option.  how do I uninstall an app on a macOs device that was deployed as required through Intune?

KendallEley_0-1696428559626.png

if I include a user or a device in uninstall setting and the same device is present in required and uninstall section, whether the uninstall setting takes precedence over required setting?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cHaZzY (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

True normally removing the assignment doesnt trigger an uninstallation, To uninstall you need to assign a group to the uninstall setting

And to quote Microsoft

"Removing a group assignment does not remove the related app. The installed app will remain on the device."

Include and exclude app assignments in Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs

View solution in original post