SOLVED

-2016281112 (Remediation failed) - Minimum Password Length

Iron Contributor

Hi all, 

I have been applied the Intune policy about minimum password length, to more than 100 clients but for 20 of them. 
My password policy has a minimum of twelve characters, one Upper case, one Lower case, one number & one special character. The user password meets the policy but, I'm still getting the device as non-compliant.

I'm getting the error message below :

Capture.PNG

Thanks in advance

16 Replies
Hi,

COuld you disable the "special character" as test? to see what happens .

Take a look at this uservoice..

https://microsoftintune.uservoice.com/forums/291681-ideas/suggestions/38371480-intune-device-profile...

Hi,
Thank you for your response.
I tested it last week, but it didn't work for my case.

@George Grammatikos 

HI

I suspect it has to do with the set and get commands

The problem is that this CSP only supports Add Operation, which means the Get Operation will always fail because it has not been implemented.

We are getting the same error when we are pushing a device configuration policy to set the Password... Of course, this succeeds, but getting the result.... most of the times it fails

Rudy_Ooms_0-1620020144931.png

But you are mentioning non-compliant errors? Could you show your device securitycompliance requirements?

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

Hi,
Please, check the system security section in the device compliance policy

Capture1.PNG

Hi,

Just wondering ( I am setting up a test vm right now) did the problem users also tried to change their password themself on the device itself and trying to check the compliance status in the company app?

I am missing the password type and password complexity in your screenshot? Or did you leave it on default?

Rudy_Ooms_0-1620029400891.png

And are the devices: 

azure ad joined or domain/hybrid joined

Did you also disabled Windows Hello?

And did you also read the docs from microsoft about this topic

Policy CSP - DeviceLock - Windows Client Management | Microsoft Docs

The enforcement of policies for Microsoft accounts happen on the server, and the server requires a password length of 8 and a complexity of 2. A complexity value of 3 or 4 is unsupported and setting this value on the server makes Microsoft accounts non-compliant.

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

Hi,

One user changed his password but, he is having the same issue.
The Password type setting is the default one.
The devices are joined to an Azure AD.
The Windows Hello for some of the devices is enabled and for some others disabled.
The password has a minimum of twelve characters, x1 Upper case, x1 Lower case, x1 number & x1 special character.

@George Grammatikos 

Hi. As you know I sent you a private message with some tips.

For anyone else reading this question:

Hi, 

I guess when I need to troubleshoot this. I would change one setting at a time.

If you take a look at the Microsoft doc I linked to...  

Rudy_Ooms_0-1620139302030.png

Rudy_Ooms_1-1620139301874.png

https://microsoftintune.uservoice.com/forums/291681-ideas/suggestions/38371480-intune-device-profile...

I guess you have got 2 options.

*Remove that part of the compliance policy as it is not working (uservoice says the same?)

*Change the password compliance policy to require only 8 characters and digits and lowercase

characters --> check if that works

if it works -->  add uppercase

if that works --> change policy to 12 

If that works --> add complexity requirement

Also beware Users with passwords that meet the requirement are still prompted to change their passwords.

I know it can take a lot of time... but troubleshooting always does :( ..

Hi,

I tried all the ways, but I'm still getting the device as non-compliant, and the error message is the same. I also test it with the assigned compliance policy without any result.
best response confirmed by George Grammatikos (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@George Grammatikos 

Hi

So even only specifying: Require 

Password type --> Default

Minimum password --> 8 

Is  giving you non compliant errors in a new device compliance policy

Rudy_Ooms_0-1620214732098.png

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

what do you mean it has not been implemented?

@Techn0phile 

What I am trying to say. Is that when you create some device configuration policies like this example to create a local admin user and a corresponding password.

Rudy_Ooms_1-1631774901941.png

It will always fail...  (the reporting) even when the user and the password were created.

To quote someone (have it in my internal docs... but.. not sure who said it )

The error here is due to the status check mechanism that is implemented within. In general, when Intune tries to determine if the policy takes effect on the target device, it calls Get Operation of the interested OMA-URI, which basically queries the registry key value from the client. And then compare the result with the policy value.
The problem is that this CSP only supports Add Operation, which means the Get Operation will always fail because it has not been implemented. That's why we get the error even if it successfully applied.

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP 

Did you, by any chance, read or heard when they will implement the Get? It kind of makes Intune Password Compliance Policy useless as we do not know what is compliance or not?

Thank you.

Don

I Know... bit I wonder if this one will ever be fixed...

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP Do you know if this has been remediated or when it will as I am having similar challenge (error message).

dear i used a pasword that was automatical created ,but what happend i lost the pasword and forgot to writh it down . the problem how do i i inter my mail email address removed for privacy reasons the answere thst i had to give ,i did my best to get all the last emailadres but i stil can not inter my electionmail,solutions
This is 100% repro when you join a previously personal device (MSA connected) to Entra later. The same account with the same policies (and password, obviously) goes through fine if the device is Entra joined during OoBE.

I bet it's caused by MSA passwordless sign-in and onboarding, meaning the personal profile effectively has a password length of "zero" - although the work profile's password / Hello PIN is fully compliant.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by George Grammatikos (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@George Grammatikos 

Hi

So even only specifying: Require 

Password type --> Default

Minimum password --> 8 

Is  giving you non compliant errors in a new device compliance policy

Rudy_Ooms_0-1620214732098.png

View solution in original post