Where (geographically) is the data stored for Microsoft Forms?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am looking into data protection involved with our Office365 Microsoft Forms software. I looked online and the FAQ page https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/Frequently-asked-questions-about-Microsoft-Forms-495c4242-6... states 'Microsoft Forms data is stored on servers located in the United States.'

Is this without exception?

We are based in the UK and would be looking to use this if the data is stored within the EU.

Thanks, Frank

9 Replies
Great question! I'm keen to know too.

Hi,

since you posted this question the content in the article has changed to "... All data is located in the United States, except for European-based tenants who started using Microsoft Forms after May 2017. Their data is stored on servers in Europe."

My question is this: how do I know when we started to use Microsoft Forms? My (European-based)tennant is enabled for forms, as I can go to forms.microsoft.com and I am logged right in with my organizational account which has an active E3 licence, although no tile in the app launcher or anything yet. I don't know exactly when this was enabled for us. We are required to know where the data is located in order to complete the risk analysis that we must perform for every new service that is available for our users.

Hi,

thanks for alerting me to the update in the policy. We started using the Forms service before May 2017 so I am assuming our forms are not stored on EU servers. I am not sure if that would also mean that any new forms created just now would not be on EU servers?

How about those in Asia Pacific, like Hong Kong? Where is the data stored if the Office 365 E3 subscription is purchased in Hong Kong?

Hi,

For organizations like ours, it would be essential to know that Forms data are stored in Europe. We also started using Forms before May 2017. Will Microsoft make it possible to move the storage of Forms to Europe?

I know that this is an old thread, but is there anymore clarity on this?

I'd really like to know where my forms data is stored.  I know that the MS are stating that Forms is GDPR compliant, but the majority of customers for whom GDPR applies really need a bit more detail than that.

@Lloyd Adams have you seen this page? https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Frequently-asked-questions-about-Microsoft-Forms-495c4242-6...
"Where data is stored for Microsoft Forms
Microsoft Forms data is stored on servers in the United States, with the exception of data for European-based tenants. The data for European-based tenants is stored on servers in Europe."

@Philemon Burney  Which is still unclear. Is UK in Europe? If not is our Forms data in the UK or US, or EU?

Our O365 tenant is UK based, does this mean Forms data is in the UK, or outside?

@Andy Owen  Microsoft Forms data is held outside the UK but within the EU and is therefore currently covered by GDPR. There will be a modified GDPR known as the UK GDPR introduced sometime after 1 January 2021. 

Locations for specific Office 365 services for UK-based tenants are shown below and the data centres are in London, Cardiff and Durham:

Exchange OnlineUnited Kingdom
OneDrive for BusinessUnited Kingdom
SharePoint OnlineUnited Kingdom
Skype for BusinessUnited Kingdom
Microsoft TeamsUnited Kingdom
Office Online & MobileUnited Kingdom
EOPUnited Kingdom
IntuneEuropean Union
MyAnalyticsUnited Kingdom
PlannerEuropean Union
SwayUnited States
YammerEuropean Union
OneNote ServicesUnited Kingdom
StreamUnited Kingdom
WhiteboardEuropean Union
FormsEuropean Union
Workplace AnalyticsUnited States

If you are an Office 365 admin you can also check where data is stored for existing Office 365 services  in your Office 365 Admin Center in Settings -> Organization profile -> Data location card." 

More information is at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/enterprise/o365-data-locations?view=o365-worldwide

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User